Chapter Forty-Nine | Reunion

——————— ♛ ♛ ♛———————

A few days later, Darrel lay on the sofa in her sitting room, staring at the ceiling. She had not seen Sebastian in over two weeks, and at that point, she doubted that she would ever see him again. Over the past few days, she spiralled downwards to the point that she only left her room for meals. Darrel even sent a letter to William Turner to ask him to publish a story saying that she was ill so nobody would question her public absence. David discouraged her tactics since people would speculate about her health, whereas King George V congratulated her on her cleverness. However, Darrel did not care about either of their opinions. Whenever anyone addressed her, she would reply in as few words as possible. She barely ate, she did not sleep, and she spent all her time worrying about Sebastian. David tried to assure her that the fact that JF had not sent a letter informing her of Sebastian's arrest was a positive sign. But Darrel did not believe him and told the Duke of York not to bother her unless it was an emergency.

There was a knock on the door, but Darrel ignored it. She knew that if it was one of Their Majesties they would walk in without permission. If it was anyone else, she did not feel like speaking to them. Darrel did not bother to look towards the door as it opened.

"Elizabeth, come downstairs," David ordered. "Their Majesties want to see us in the drawing room."

Darrel did not answer and continued to look up at the ceiling. She sensed that the King and Queen would give her another lecture, and she was not in the mood to defend herself.

"Elizabeth, did you hear me?" David inquired.

"Yes," Darrel muttered.

"You need to come downstairs now. Their Majesties want to speak to us."

"Please, David. I cannot face them right now. Could you please make my excuses?"

"They will not believe any excuse unless you get the Royal Physician to say that you are ill. Which I am assuming that you are not."

Darrel let out a heavy sigh, but got up from her position on the couch and followed her brother downstairs.

The two siblings entered the drawing room where Their Majesties were waiting for them. However, Darrel's eyes went to the man sitting in the armchair next to them: Sebastian Carlos.

"Sebastian!" Darrel gasped, running over to her fiancé, ignoring all necessary formalities.

"Darrel," Sebastian smiled, getting to his feet and pulling her into a tight hug.

David stared at the couple in disbelief. Like Darrel, he believed something terrible happened in Spain, and Sebastian would never return to England. Although he never vocalized his worries because he did not want to make his sister sadder than she was already. He did not even realize that Sebastian was at Buckingham Palace. His father told him to get Darrel to go to the drawing room for some important matter.