Chapter Two | Dress Decisions

——————— ♛ ♛ ♛———————

——————— ———————

"Not that one," Mary declared. "It makes you look fat."

"Mary! Do not be rude!" Cora scolded.

"I'm not rude! Darrel wanted our honest opinions."

Darrel rolled her eyes but said nothing, as she'd grown immune to Mary's bluntness over the years. She went behind the changing screen and slipped off the 'fattening' dress. Besides, she'd invited Cora, Mary, Edith and Rose over to Buckingham Palace to get their opinions.

"What about this one?" Rose suggested, pulling out a dress from the princess' closet.

"I can't wear that," Darrel informed.

"Why not? There's lace. The lace is pretty.

"It's black. I cannot wear a black dress to my birthday ball."

Rose put the dress back and rummaged through the many options. Darrel tried her best to look interested. She wanted to invite her family over to help her choose a dress for her ball since they weren't invited. (Except for Edith since the King invited the Marquess of Hexham). Darrel usually had Lily pick out her outfits and spent under five minutes approving them. So after spending two hours discussing dresses, she no longer had any interest in the matter. The only silver lining was that she got to spend time with the Crawleys.

"Here!" Rose exclaimed, pulling out a light blue dress with white polka dots.

"That's a day dress, m'lady," Lily explained, placing the dress back on the rack. The maid wished that Darrel had not invited her family over, since it slowed down the usual dressing process.

Rose let out an exasperated sigh and then headed over to the table to refill her cup. Although by then she wished that it held something stronger than tea.

"At least your clothes are less boring now," Rose shrugged.

"Thank you?" Darrel replied.

"We're never going to find a dress we agree on," Mary groaned.

"What if I choose a few options and you may select a dress from those?" Lily offered.

"That is a wonderful idea. Thank you, Lily," Darrel nodded.

"Of cours, Your Highness."

Darrel sat down on the couch next to her cousin.

"Are you looking forward to your ball?" Cora inquired.

"Not at all," Darrel sighed. "Although I'm grateful that Their Majesties aren't making a production of the party this year. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to convince them to invite you."

"I don't mind not coming," Mary assured. "All these formal events are dreadful."

"Mary!"

"It's not your fault, darling, you don't plan them."