Chapter Thirty-Seven | A Family Conversation

——————— ♛ ♛ ♛———————

 Robert, Cora, Mary, Tom, and Darrel entered the library. Lord Grantham went straight to the drink cart and began to fix himself a glass of scotch.

"So, what exactly happened between the two of you?" Tom inquired. "It is clear that there was a fight, but what was it about?"

"I would not call it a fight," Robert muttered.

"Disowning your daughter is not a fight?" Mary snapped.

Robert rolled his eyes, downed his drink, and then sat across from Darrel.

"I am sorry," Robert informed. "It was wrong for me to say that you are not my daughter."

"Do not apologize if you do not mean it," Darrel responded. "While I wish that you would accept the current situation, I do not want you to pretend to view me as your daughter."

"I overreacted when I visited you in London. I thought you did not see us as your family and that you had chosen Their Majesties over me."

"I will always see you as my family. I sided with Their Majesties because your interview with Mr Turner had negative results."

"Yes, I understand that now. I do apologize for speaking with Turner."

"It is all right; it turned out well. Now I have a reporter on my side."

Robert nodded, not entirely sure what to say next.

"What made you finally change your mind after all this time?" Cora demanded. "You seemed quite happy to ignore Darrel for the rest of your living days."

"I thought Darrel preferred Their Majesties over us," Robert shrugged. "But, I recently learned that she was willing to move to Spain to get away from them."

"What?" Darrel gasped. "How on earth do you know that?"

"Sebastian and JF visited me the other day. JF told me that you wanted to leave the country but decided to stay in England because you wished to stay closer to Downton."

Darrel nodded slightly, "I had no idea he was coming here; they told me JF had something to tend to, and he wanted Sebastian to accompany him."

"Well, they made some good arguments...mostly JF actually," Robert informed. "And I am sorry for making you miserable."

"They did not force you to forgive me, did they? I know that they have interesting tactics at times. I do not want you to feel as if you have to forgive me."

"Do not worry, I did not agree with JF when he first spoke with me. But then I spent some time thinking about it. Besides, he was quite persuasive; it seems being a prince has changed him."

Darrel smiled slightly.

"But, Papa...I need you to have more faith in me," Darrel pleaded. "We have been through so many things over the years, and I need you to understand that I am loyal to this family. I love the Crawleys, and I will never turn my back on you."

Robert nodded and then got to his feet. Darrel followed suit and they went to hug each other.

"I am so glad this is sorted," Cora smiled, tears forming in her eyes. "Welcome back, darling."

Darrel hugged her mother.

"It is nice to have you back at Downton," Tom grinned, hugging his sister-in-law.

Not one for emotions, Mary nodded at her sister and then went upstairs to remove her hat.

"Since everything seems sorted now...can I invite Sebastian and the others to stay here for a few days?" Darrel inquired. "Camila's never been to Downton before."

"Of course, you may," Robert replied.

"Thank you."

Darrel gave her parents a grateful smile and then left the library. Once they were alone, Cora turned to Robert with a disappointed glare.

"What?" Robert protested.

"It took you quite a while to forgive our daughter," Cora accused. "And she does have a point; you should not have doubted her loyalty."

"Don't start. I forgave her, didn't I?"

"She never did anything wrong! Darrel might be willing to move past this because she is the kindest person I have ever met, but I will remember this. And I am very disappointed in you."

"Aren't you always?" Robert groaned and then marched out of the room.

"So...am I never going to see you again?" Thomas sighed, back in the butler's pantry. "Is this the end?"

"First of all, it is not the end," Allen assured. "Second of all, even if Her Highness never returns to Downton, I will find a way to see you. I promise."

"It won't be as easy anymore. I will miss you."

Thomas bit down on his bottom lip as he fought back tears. Allen approached him and placed a hand on the butler's cheek.

"I will miss you too, Thomas Barrow," Allen whispered. "You are the best thing that has ever happened to be. And yes, it will be harder now, but you are worth it. We will find a way. I will find a way back to you."

"Thank you, Allen," Thomas smiled. "I owe you so much. You have changed me for the better; in so many ways. I will be forever grateful."

Allen began to pull Thomas closer to him when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Thomas groaned, as Allen took a step farther away.

Benjamin stepped into the butler's pantry and gave them a curious look.

"Where have you been?" Benjamin demanded. "You do have a job to do."

"I do not answer to you," Allen reminded.

"Well, you cannot protect Her Highness in the pantry, can you?"

"If you must know, I was helping Barrow find cases to pack Her Highness' belongings."

"That will not be needed. Lord Grantham forgave her; she is unpacking now. And she called Mr Carlos and the others to come to visit Downton."

"Oh. Thank you for the information; I will be up shortly."

"Fine. I will speak with the housekeeper and ask her to fix some rooms for us."

Benjamin left the room in a huff.

"Well, we won't have to say goodbye after all," Thomas shrugged.

"That is good news," Allen nodded. "But it made me appreciate you even more because I thought I would never see you again."

"Me too. I love you so much, Allen."

"I love you, too. I'm sorry, but I need to go."

"It's fine, I get it. Go do your duties.

Allen kissed Thomas' lips and then hurried out of the butler's pantry.