Chapter 32

Kelvin stared at Chantal as she left the house. Wasn't she the lady who'd helped with Claire's party? What business does she have in the Njama house, with Amara at that? He shook his head and turned to see Michael matching towards Amara who was crying uncontrollably. He hastened his steps and closed the gap between the two.

"Michael, relax please let me handle this." Kelvin pleaded.

Michael looked at him with bloodshot eyes but stepped back a little.

"Please." Kelvin added.

Michael walked to a sofa and sat down, not taking his eyes away from Amara.
Kelvin nodded in appreciation before turning to Amara. He helped her sit before sitting close to her.

"How're you?" He asked, not knowing how to start.
Amara looked at him and bent her head. Chioma and Ifunanya chose that moment to appear with their bags, surprised at the conference going on in the sitting room.

"Good evening sirs." They greeted in unison.

"You may leave now. Take the rest of the week off." Michael said calmly.
The girls thanked him and quickly left the house while Kelvin looked at Michael for answers.

"They're the new helpers I employed after Claire left." He explained.

"Oh. That's okay." Kelvin replied and turned to Amara

"Amara, where's Ebere?" He started
She turned to him as if a heavy blow had been thrown to her.

"What's my business with where she is and where she is not?" She asked grudgingly, fresh tears running down her face.

Kelvin smiled while Michael sat up uncomfortably.

"We need her to be seated here. Don't you think it's time we talk about all that has happened so far?" He asked gently.

She stood up, looking down at him wickedly.
"There's nothing to talk about Kelvin. There's nothing........."

"That's where you lie you cheat. I'm trying my best to be gentle with you so if I were you, I'll just answer the question without stress." Michael said angrily.

There was silence in the room for a while before Amara broke into a laugh, putting the two friends into deep confusion.

*********
Ebere settled in her standard suite and took out her phone. She dialled Chika's number and the call was picked immediately.

"Hello soon to be Mrs." Chika exclaimed excitedly. "Sorry I didn't call earlier. Its my boss's birthday today and she came back just before I finished making dinner. Hope you're not angry?"

"No. I'm not. How is it going?"

"Fine o. Lots of cake to be munched by me and the other workers. I could waybill some to you as well."

Ebere wiped a tear and forced a smile.
"Wish her a happy birthday for me." She said, trying hard to hold the tears.

"Why. You sound different. Have you been crying? Are you sick? Did........"

"I left the house." Ebere broke down.

Chika paused for a while before speaking up.

"Did they send you out of the house? Tell me." Chika asked calmly.

"No. Amara did. Mr Michael went for a function and she came back and sent me out of there."

"And you left?"

"I had to. I can't fight for........."

"Now I know that you're sick. Why will you leave?"

Ebere quickly held the phone with her other hand and wiped her eyes with the other.