Chapter 27

He watched her sign the papers, the last of the divorce papers, the property papers and the receipt to the house.

They were officially separated.

He had watched her send boxes downstairs immediately she returned from the movie premiere that morning. He didn't know when a driver came to pick them up but he had suddenly felt the emptiness already in the house.

His eyes suddenly went to his lawyer, James, who shook his head at him and went back to directing Claire on what to do.
He prayed silently that he had made a wise decision.

**********
"Thanks James. I better pick the rest of my things from my former room before my time runs up." Claire said.

"I just want you to be happy." The lawyer was concerned.

"I'm happy James. Once again, thank you."

"You're welcome."

Claire stood up, adjusted her denim gown and left the sitting room. She had just her handbag, make up kit and a few underwears to pick up from the room. Chika had gone with the rest to the new house.
She climbed the stairs, a new feeling washing through her.
She just knew it, she had made the right decision.

She got to her room and met Ebere crying. They had not gotten the time to talk, or maybe, she didn't want to listen to the infidelity story of her husband.

"Ebere?"

The helper looked up and broke down automatically. Claire went to her and held her warmly
"It's okay. Ssshhh."

"I'm sorry. For....forgive me." She sobbed.

"I know. I know. Stop crying."
She held Ebere comfortingly, searching for the right words to say to her.

"Let me go with you please." Ebere pleaded.

"You will. But not now my dear, not now. The father of your child needs to take care of you. He needs to accept you and this child. Miles apart won't give you this. You need to stay here. I'll call you frequently and you have my house address."

"She'll kill me. She'll kill......"

"Nobody will kill you. I need you to think about all I've just said right now. Running from this house will do you no good."
She stood up and went to her table where she had dropped her handbag.
She brought out a bundle of cash and went back to the bed.

"Here. I need you to be healthy. Take care of yourself for me please."
Ebere nodded and found herself in her boss's embrace.

"You'll be fine okay? Now, come and help me send this bags downstairs before the sorceress descends on me here."

Ebere smiled.
She'd miss this woman.

*******
"I am really disappointed in you Mike. Even if you want to divorce your wife, must it be because of her sister? There are a thousand and one women out there Mike." James reprimanded angrily.

"But the girl is pregnant." Michael countered.

"And so what? Were you blindfolded when you went digging into her pants?"

They were outside the house, leaning on James' car. He was angry with Michael and he needed to ring some things in his head.

"Did you ever think of what the society will say about you and the stupid girl who's happily destroying her sister's family? Did you think of what will be left of your image in the business world? The man who's a father figure to you, what will he say? Michael, you've really disappointed a lot of people."