Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Jaxon’s POV

I resisted the urge to laugh as Ever shrieked and ducked behind me when a guy dressed in black with a mask popped out from the corner. I gave the guy a glare when he came closer, and he quickly darted away to scare the next few people who were behind us. Grabbing Ever’s hand, I tugged her in front of me, only to realise she was covering her eyes with both hands. This time, I laughed, quieting down when she opened an eye to glare at me. “It’s not funny! I hate you, Jaxon!” She pouted, making my eyes drift down to her lips. I chuckled, grabbing her hand and pulling her forward. “It’s not even scary- it’s just some dudes dressing up in costumes and makeup, and going around trying to scare girls like you,” I scoffed, as I noticed another one from behind the pillar waiting for us to approach.

Ever scowled, her eyes still shut tightly though she was gripping my hand. God, she could be so cute without even trying, I thought, grinning as she squeaked when she tripped over the uneven ground. The creepy music blasted around us as we walked through the maze in the haunted house, with Ever occasionally screaming when she felt something brush against her or when she heard a loud noise. I smirked. This was kind of the payback from the rollercoaster incident, since girls usually got freaked out for these stuff. I could understand how hilarious it was to see someone squirming at something that wasn’t that terrifying, and since it was my mate, it was all the more fun.

“Jaxon! Can we please get out of here, I don’t think I can take it anymore!” Ever cried, her body clinging to my left arm as we trudged through the fake forest. Screams sounded from behind us and she whimpered, burying her face in my chest in fright. I groaned, knowing I couldn’t help but not want to see my mate uncomfortable, and pulled her closer as I growled at the guy behind the pillar, clearly indicating that if he dare come near my mate, he would be the one pissing his pants. We breezed through the haunted house, and when Ever realised we were free, she opened her eyes to make sure, then turned around and shot me a death glare. “You asshole, I’m never going in one of those again!” she snapped, punching me on the arm. I started laughing as she pouted. I cleared my throat and pulled her into a hug.

Damn, I definitely have to apologise, I thought grumpily. I just couldn’t keep a grudge against my mate at all. I tilted her chin up so we were looking at each other, then sighed. “Fine, I’m sorry. I just wanted to get back at you for the rollercoaster thing,” I mumbled, and I saw her lips tilt up in a smile. “I know you were, but you still have a punishment.” I raised my eyebrow at her. “Oh, really? And what would that punishment be?” She bit her lip thoughtfully, and I internally groaned at her obliviousness to what she was doing to me. Then her eyes widened and she clapped her hands.

“I’ve decided on your punishment,” she said, her blue eyes twinkling in mischief. God, she was irresistible. I smiled softly at her as she paused, her face composed in a thoughtful expression. She turned and put her hands on my chest, her face tilting up to look at mine. I immediately put my hands on her waist on instinct, leaning down towards her. Ever surprisingly tiptoed up to whisper something in my ear. “You can’t kiss me or touch me for the rest of the day,” she breathed, pulling back with a victorious smirk on her face. My jaw dropped. She can’t be serious. I don’t get to touch my mate even once for the rest of the day? She nodded her head, grinning wickedly. “That’s your punishment for abusing your poor mate. Now come on, I want to go try something else,” Ever said cheerfully, sauntering past me and swaying her hips. I groaned, watching her walk away and feeling my wolf stir in desire, already missing my mate. She’s going to get it later, I thought grumpily, trudging after her.

Ever’s POV

I held back a giggle at Jaxon’s grumpy expression as he sulked behind me. Serves him right, I thought smugly, as I skipped through the carnival. I hated haunted houses or anything to do with horror. It creeped me out, even though I was fine with hunting down rogues and wolves and torturing them. It was just normal for me. And I had a feeling Jaxon knew that but just wanted to make me squirm. Rolling my eyes, I stopped to wait for him to drag his feet to catch up with me. Putting my hands on my hips, I glared at him. “Hurry up, this is all your fault, so you’re going to have to deal with not touching me for the rest of the day. Man up and stop being a girl,” I told him, trying to hold back a giggle as he raised an eyebrow at me. “I’m man enough, and you already know that,” he replied smugly, wiggling his eyebrows. I waved my hand, dismissing his egoistic comment. “Yeah, but your ‘manliness’ didn’t exactly help you when you rode that rollercoaster,” I said, my lips tilting up as he shot me a scowl.

I turned around and continued walking, ignoring Jaxon’s grumbling about how his situation wasn’t fair. Serves him right! He knew how much I hated haunted houses - couldn’t he tell from the look on my face when he dragged me towards it? If he didn’t, well, too bad for him. Deciding to torture him a bit more, I swayed my hips as I sauntered away from him, looking for other rides that we could take together. I heard a muffled groan from behind me, and held back a giggle that was threatening to escape. I could be really naughty when I wanted to, but I didn’t show it because I took missions very seriously.

“Uh, Ever? You might want to wat-” Jaxon warned, but before he could finish, I crashed into a hard chest, stumbling backwards as I cursed in pain. Jaxon was behind me in a flash, his chest rumbling as he growled threateningly, possessively wrapping an arm around my waist. My eyes narrowed, when I realised that the person I had just bumped into, was none other than Leroy Ripthorn, and Whitney.  Leroy angled his head downwards, his eyes narrowing as he glared back at Jaxon dominatingly. Whitney sneered attached herself to Leroy’s arm, all the while glaring at Jaxon’s arm around my waist. I rolled myself. Please, get over yourself.

Leroy barely glanced at Whitney, instead turning his gaze to me. He then smirked, his eyes running over my body. Jaxon’s low growl vibrated in his chest, and I held back a shudder, instead glancing cooly at him and Whitney. “Well hello there,” Leroy drawled, smirking. Whitney scowled at me, probably ticked off that I got more attention than her, before turning to Leroy with a fake smile on her face. “Leroy, darling, this is Jaxon’s new toy,” she emphasized, twirling her blonde hair around her finger flirtily as she smirked at me. I smiled back at her fakely, turning to Leroy as I held out my hand. “I’m Ever, Jaxon’s mate,” I told him, secretly grinning as Whitney’s face turned red with anger. Leroy raised an eyebrow, taking my hand. But instead of shaking it, he brought it to his lips. Jaxon’s grip on my waist tightened considerably, and a snarl escaped his lips. I tugged back my hand, making a mental note to wash it later.

“Well, it was nice meeting you, but we should be going soon,” I told the two in front of us, squeezing Jaxon’s hand and breaking the tension between the two guys. Jaxon gave Leroy one last, long and deathly glare before turning to me. Letting go of his hand, I walked forward but stopped as I heard the click-clacking of heels approach us. Whitney sashayed towards Jaxon, pouting her lips. “Jaaaaaxooooon,” she whined, shaking her hips ‘seductively’. “Aren’t you going to give me a goodbye kiss? I know you’d rather be with me than that piece of trash,” she sneered, giving me a once-over before she turned to Jaxon, reaching for his hand. Jaxon scowled at her in disgust, stepping back, but Whitney had her claws grasped around his hand by then. Rubbing herself against him, she tittered on her heels to try to reach upto Jaxon, but before she could plant her lips on his, I appeared beside her.

I smiled darkly, grabbing her hand and pulling it off Jaxon. “Hands of my mate,” I said, all but twitching to rip her hand off her body completely. Whitney stumbled back in shock, squealing slightly. Standing in front of Jaxon, my eyes glinted dangerously as I stared at her. “I may be some piece of trash, but at least he gives me the time of the day,” I continued, watching her eyes narrow in anger. “You bit-!” Before she could finish, I took a step forward, holding back a snicker as she stepped back cautiously. “I don’t think you want to know what happens if you say that,” I grinned deviously, giving her one last look before I tugged Jaxon away from both. “See you later,” as Jaxon trudged behind me, I internally groaned. I could almost imagine the smirk on his face. I was in for so much trouble later.