Chapter Eighteen

Cheryn's POV

I was staring to think this was a really bad idea. The whole ride to Ever's house had been so tense and quiet; with Jaxon gripping the steering wheel so tightly it might have broke if not for Lianne, who nudged him consistently. In fact, this whole thing was Lianne's idea. I know, crazy right? She thought it would be a brilliant idea to go to Ever's house for some answers. I rolled my eyes. Sometimes, I really wonder if we are related.

We reached there in a matter of minutes, and I had a really bad feeling about this. 'Lianne, are you sure this is a good idea?' I asked through the link. 'Of course it is! He needs to know,' She replied, but I could tell she was unsure herself. Jaxon didn't even hear our conversation, too busy walking up to the door and knocking immediately. After a few seconds, Lianne knocked again. I rolled my eyes. How impatient could they get?

"Hold your horses, I'm coming! God," I heard Ever grumble from inside, and I smiled at our mutual agreement. She opened the door, looking slightly disheveled and tired. "Phantom Residence, how can I-" her eyes widened considerably as she took Jaxon in, and she choked slightly. She looked so shocked to see him standing there, and I felt the tension roll off Jaxon's shoulders in waves. I heard a soft growl from inside the house, and peeked from behind Jaxon's shoulders to see Zack, Xavier and Cam forming a protective stance behind Ever.

"What are you doing here, Jaxon?" Ever finally said, her eyes avoiding him. Jaxon remained silent, and Lianne decided to poke her head out from behind him. "Hi Ever," she tried for a smile, but it came out as a grimace. I could tell the way Ever and Jaxon acted that they definitely had an attraction. If only we could find out what exactly was going on.

Ever curiously looked behind Jaxon, who stepped away to reveal me. I gave her a small wave, trying to tell her I was so sorry for this. She smiled, before turning to face Jaxon. "Um, come in, I guess," she turned around, indicating that we should follow her. Noticing that Jaxon wasn't going to be moving anytime soon, I stepped forward into the house, following Ever as she walked towards the living room.

Ever's POV

What the heck were they doing here? I thought frantically. How did they even know where we lived?

If you thought I was surprised, you were definitely wrong. They were honestly the last people I expected to be turning up at our doorstep. I stood with Xavier unsurely, who squeezed my hand. 'You can do this, Ever.' He thought, and I sighed. 'Okay,' I eyed Jaxon and his sisters as they collapsed on the couches. I was about to join them, when Xavier held me back. 'Wait, Cam has something to tell you,' He gestured towards the kitchen. I tilted my head in confusion, nevertheless walking in that direction.

I heard Xavier talking to them, asking what they came here for. I found Cam standing beside the fridge, his arms crossed over his chest and a scowl on his face. Probably not liking the idea that my mate was in the house right now, I rolled my eyes. I walked over to him and sat on the countertop so that I was directly facing him. "So, what did you want to tell me again?" I asked, and he turned to face me. "Ever," he said seriously, and I felt my stomach drop. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. My gaze dropped to the floor. 'The elders, they have granted you permission to be with Jaxon.' I'll probably be moved to another part of town, away from him and- wait, what? "Say what?" I asked, wide-eyed. Cam was grinning now. 'I said, the elders let you be with your-!' I tackled him to the ground in a hug before he could finish. Tears were running down my cheeks as I looked at him. (A/N: Please note that the convo they had was lower than normal werewolf volume, so Jaxon and the others couldn't hear!)

"Go." Cam smiled and pushed me towards the living room. I ran towards the couch, ignoring Lianne and Cheryn's bewildered looks as I blew past them in werewolf speed. Jaxon was staring dazedly into space again, and seeing the heartbroken look on his face even more tears streamed down my cheeks. I launched myself into Jaxon's arms and sobbed into the crook of his neck, and despite knowing how I must look to Lianne and Cheryn, and that I was making a mess on Jaxon, I didn't ever want to let go.

Words couldn't begin to describe the feelings that overwhelmed me as I felt Jaxon's arms, though reluctantly, wrap around me. They were so warm, so comforting, and even though everything was still messed up, being in his arms, I felt like everything was going to be okay, that no matter what happened, there was still going to be a fairytale happy ending. (A/N: Yes, cheesy I know. But whatever. It's sweet.)

"Hey." Jaxon whispered, his voice husky and hoarse, as if he hadn't spoken for weeks, or even months. "Hey." I said through all my tears. "Do you feel a little better?" I whispered. "Yeah, better than I have over the the past week." Jaxon said answer, and I saw the guilt on his face and sadness washed through me yet again. To feel better being with someone else other than your mate, I never wanted to feel that heartbreak and pain. 'Cam, are we allowed to tell them about us? I promise not to reveal too much.' I asked through the mind link. 'Yeah. It's about time the drug (A/N: The drug that hides their scent, remember that?) wore off, pretty good timing, eh?' I sighed at the thought of what was coming ahead. It definitely wasn't going to be a pleasant experience. Would Jaxon feel betrayed? Angry? Maybe we would be treated as rogues. Who knows. But I had to get this over with.

I hugged Jaxon one tightly before standing up and moving to stand in front of Lianne and Cheryn, who were looking utterly confused and overwhelmed, though Lianne looked slightly smug. Cam, Xavier, and Zack quickly formed the 'protection format'. I rolled my eyes despite the seriousness of what was going to happen next. "I suppose we should start with the truth." I started. "Wha-" Lianne frowned. I quickly put my hand up. "Wait. Please let us finish speaking. And promise us you won't interrupt us, leave, or attack us. In fact, don't move from that spot at all." I said seriously, looking all of them in the eyes in turn. "Okay." Cheryn quickly agreed. Jaxon nodded slightly, but Lianne stared at us but a few seconds, before finally nodding. I let out the deep breath I had unconsciously held.

"So, the truth...The truth is that we're werewolves." And right after that sentence the drug wore off, immediately revealing our werewolf scents. Cheryn and Lianne both gasped, and Jaxon froze completely, and I knew he could smell my scent very clearly. The scent of his mate.