CHAPTER 50

• इन्हें समर्पित: OlatejuAmoo

"Sir" A man said, cutting Rayyan short.

Rayyan's gaze turned to him, seeing him pointing towards something.

His heart stopped.

Walking towards them were three blurry figures, concealed by the darkness of the night.

Their identities were hard to make out, but Rayyan knew who the one in the middle was, his heart smiling as the tall, lanky build of the juvenile he'd come to bond with approached.

Before he knew it, his legs propelled him forward to where the boy was, covering the distance that separated them in long strides.

"Sir" Nonso breathed, relief and guilt in his voice. His gaze was cast to the ground, his friends shuffling their boots awkwardly as they stood before the intimidating officer.

Nonso stilled as Rayyan stood before them.

Unmoving,...unspeaking.

The large, muscular officer had always been someone he admired. Moreso when he took interest, and began training him. 

But right there, quivering before the man that had become a mentor of sorts to him, it was the first time Nonso understood the fear that everyone else had when they spoke about Rayyan.

However, the difference between his fear and theirs was that they feared him because he'd proved himself a formidable instructor, he'd earned his respect and expected it to be given to him.

Plus, he basically towered over everyone else in the NDA.

For Nonso, he feared that Rayyan would cast him aside, .....that he'd be disappointed in him, that he'd hate him.

It was unfamiliar territory for Nonso, the feeling of inadequacy and vulnerability. He'd never thought he would let himself feel that powerless.

 It didn't matter if anyone else thought him weak, useless even, he'd never thought himself any of those things. He always had his self-esteem intact.

But somehow, Rayyan had caused his insecurities to leak, causing his throat to constrict painfully as a sob lodged itself in his throat.

He fought the overwhelming sensation, afraid that he'd turn into a crying mess in the presence of the friends he'd been trying to prove his masculinity to.

Earlier that day, they'd made fun of him, saying he always sought Rayyan out because he needed his protection, that he wasn't capable of holding his own against any of them.

Nonso was bitter, ...angry even, and in a haze of faux self-redemption had agreed to help them sneak into the range for target practice.

Alas, the action made to soothe his bruised ego landed them in major trouble; almost immediately they scaled the fence, they'd heard noises coming from the cadet's quarters.

They ignored it, staying for a few hours until their curfew.

One of the guys had then spotted an unfamiliar deep green uniform as they approached the quarters, signalling the other two.

Nonso knew something was wrong immediately, having heard snippet of Rayyan's conversation with the old personnel that guarded the shooting range.

He knew for one, if nothing else, that there was some kind of threat to the NDA. However, he'd surmised that whatever it was would be settled externally, he'd never imagined that the NDA would ever fall under attack.

The guys— under the pressure of the situation — put aside their differences, deciding to cooperate, at least, until they could escape their situation.

Saved by my nightmare (A Nigerian Story)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें