CHAPTER 47

Y'all remember that multiple POV thing I said I was gonna do?. Yh, so I'm doing that in this chapter isA.

*********
Kaduna, Nigeria
2020.

Rayyan lay on his bed, mulling over things he'd promised he wouldn't think about.

For one, there was a threat looming over the NDA which he wasn't sure the cadets were ready to face.

There was simply no way out of their predicament, with the number of deaths that'd been happening, it was clear that there were moles amongst them that would report every action of theirs.

And what worried Rayyan more was that along with cadets, some personnel could be working for the other side. It was the only way possible, seeing as military issued guns were always found at the crime scene.

On the other hand, his sister had called to inform him — sometime in the previous week— that their parents had set up her Nikkah with Adam, who he could vaguely remember.

Apparently, the Nikkah would be a small event that would take place at the Central mosque.

He'd talked to her, asked her if she was on board with the arrangement or if she was yet again being pressured by their father, but she said she was happy with it.

He'd attempted to talk to their dad, but she'd talked him out of it, saying she wasn't trying to lie to him, and that she really was on board with it.

Rayyan was no fool, he could sense the lack of enthusiasm in her voice, no matter how much she tried to hide it with halfhearted laughs, but he knew she had her reasons and respected her decision.

If he was being honest with himself, he doubted she would ever move on from Zahar, having seen firsthand, the depth of her feelings for him.

But it was for that reason he didn't try to pry into her matters. He'd seen how much damage both of them had sustained in trying to move on from each other.

He'd acted oblivious to their feelings for each other since they were kids, mainly because he knew how deeply Zahar cared for his sister.

Even in their teenage years, when the focus of every other guy their age was girls, Zahar never indulged in their interests.

He'd witnessed several girls try to sink their talons into the guy, but they'd always end up the same way— disappointed and angry.

Rayyan cared for his sister very much, but wasn't one to express his love with sweet words and coaxing. He stepped up when she needed protecting, but rather watched her from the shadows.

He wasn't that that guy who'd walk a bumpy path with someone, holding their hands in his. He was more of a guy who lurked around in the shadows, helping you up if you fell and silently retreating back.

Zahar complemented Rayyan perfectly, in that he concealed every lapse of his by being the one who'd walk hand-in-hand with people, making you laugh along the way, and even forget that the path you're walking on was bumpy to begin with.

In short, Zahar was the Naruto to his Sasuke.

When he'd visited Zahar while on an official assignment to the UK the previous year, he'd seen how horrible he looked.

He was still the usual cheerful Zahar, just a more pretentious one. Rayyan of all people, could tell the difference between when he faked a smile and when it was genuine.

And the last he'd seen him, he'd hardly seen any genuine happiness in him.

Rayyan sighed heavily, wondering if Rumaysa's marriage would help them both heal, or destroy them further.