Chapter 05 - Challenge

Start from the beginning

- I'll no longer care directly from the campaigns?

- No, you'll supervise, coordinate and approve everything before getting to me.

- I enjoyed the responsibility, but I think I'll have idle times...

- Don't worry, you'll not have time to stay idle. From today you'll take care personally of all marketing of a single Rockstar athlete. You have to be his shadow wherever he goes.

- Okay - Samantha wondered who it could be. Maybe Jason Anderson. After all he was the star of the moment at Supercross and Motocross.

- You'll take on one of the main Rockstar athletes. Tanner Foust.

Samantha almost fell off her chair. Her heart raced and she was speechless.

- T-T-Tanner Foust? - She stammered.

- Yes - Teryl responded with the greatest calm in the world.

- But... You're the one who takes care of his marketing...

- But it's time I let other professional handle it. I didn't do it before because I hadn't found a professional good enough to take on the job. So far.

- Teryl... I-I...

- Your life will change completely. You'll accompany him in all races and events he participate, and take care of him about the marketing and media. And I'm talking about America and Europe. So prepare the travel documents, because in early March you'll follow him to Barbados.

- Teryl... The other girls will not be jealous or have some kind of bad feeling because I had been promoted in such a short time... and will work directly with the man of their dreams?

- Don't worry - Teryl laughed - They knew it was a matter of time until I find someone like you.

When Samantha came home, she was still surprised and couldn't believe what was happening. She walked to her office and put the briefcase on the desk.

- I must be dreaming... But I don't want to wake up ever again! - Samantha looked at Tanner's mural - Oh, handsome ... What will become of me living almost 24 hours a day with you? It'll be wonderful and a torture at the same time... See your smile all the time... - She sighed.

Samantha picked up the phone and called her mother to give the good news, then called Harry.

- What a surprise! - He said happily - You never call me...

- I'm calling to tell you that I was promoted to Coordinator!

- I am very happy for you. Congratulations!

- Thank you... But now I will personally take care of a single Rockstar athlete, and have the responsibility to be his shadow... And... And I have to tell you I'm going away for a few weeks to follow him at the races...

- Will you travel?

- Yes... I'll travel far from today.

- And where are you going?

- Barbados.

- Who is the athlete?

- Tanner Foust.

- That guy you die for him?

- Harry, it isn't like that! He's my idol, because I consider him the best driver in the world... That's it...

- I see... I didn't like it. I don't want you to go.

- I called to report that I'm going, and not to ask for your permission.

- My opinion isn't important to you, right?

- Harry, don't make me choose between you and my career... You'll come out the loser...

Samantha hung up. She was nervous. Why she was still with him? She couldn't remember why. He was sexist, outdated and the kind of guy who thinks women can only be a mother and housewife.

- I wonder if all men are equal... - She looked at Tanner's photo and smiled - You're different, aren't you? My handsome...

Samantha came to the agency feeling that there were a thousand butterflies in her stomach. She now had a meeting with Tanner to discuss the trip itinerary and activities. When she entered the meeting room, he was already waiting for her.

- Hi - He gave that famous smile that melts hearts.

- Hi - She smiled a little nervous.

- I was very happy when I learned that it's you who will take care of me.

- For Real? You should be worried...

- And why? - He laughed - I know I'm in good hands.

- I hope you're right - she smiled.

They spent several hours talking, changing some activities, analyzing some strategies. Samantha was increasingly enchanted by this man. Tanner was intelligent, respected her opinion, and accepted her ideas. He was kind, polite and fun.

Without meaning to, she began to compare Tanner with Harry, and she came to the conclusion that Harry was losing 10 to 0. But Tanner had a girlfriend. He was just a dream, nothing more...