Chapter 16 - A Drastic move?

Indiana Evans as Isadora Izzy Crane

***********************************************

Izzy POV

"I don't understand you, Isadora. Why would you make such a request?"

I sit up and face High Priest Micah in his office with all the bravado a seventeen-year-old can muster. As a witch, I know the only way we can leave a coven is by death or ex-communication. But ever since I observed Esme's request to leave our coven voluntarily, I did some research. A witch can a coven by sending a request to the Ruling Council and must have a coven take them if the request is granted. One out of two isn't bad. I sent my request in; I just have to convince my friend if I can join her coven. I picture her definite four-letter word response to my request and it makes me smile.

"This is not funny, Izzy." High Priest Micah reprimands me.

"Apologies, sir. You were saying?"

"Why you would make a request to leave this coven, your family. Speaking of family, are your parents aware?"

"Yes. They are aware, and they wished me well."

Yeah sure Izzy, after you cried, bribed, and threatened them. What can I say, I learned from the best–Esme, my new coven leader, I hope and pray?

"I still can't believe you want to vacate this coven. Your whole family belongs to this coven," he says.

"Sir, you guys always say that children must grow up sometime, right? Besides, I'm off to college in a year and I plan to move into town, anyway. And it's geographically better for me to belong to a coven close to my home, right?"

"Cut out the sarcasm, Izzy. This is serious. Once you're out of this coven, that's it. You leave the coven immediately. Do you have a place to stay right now?"

"Yes, sir. An apartment in town. I'll be here to see my family and finish high school. And before you say it, I know. I won't take part in any of the coven activities or gatherings."

"As a sorcerer, you are a great asset to the coven. You and your brother," he continues, still trying his best to persuade me to stay. That ship sailed a long time ago, I tell myself.

I wish I could tell him why I am adamant about leaving, but I can't. As a clairvoyant, sometimes I see things in their entirety other times I don't. What I know for a fact is that I need to leave this coven and join Esme's ASAP. For both our sakes. I don't know who I can trust here anymore, and I can't tell Esme why either. Days like this, I wish I'm plain human.

"Micah, good day."

I jump up, kneel, and bow at the sudden appearance of El Dargon in the office.

"Blessed be El Dargon," he replies, kneels, and bows.

"Blessed be El Dargon," I greet him too.

El Dargon arrives in his ceremonial robe, which means they got my request and they have approved me to leave Aurora coven. Elementals only dress in their ceremonial robes when they're about to perform a ritual. He stands in front of us, legs slightly apart, hands crossed behind him.

"Rise."

We both get up and face him.

"Isadora Crane, is it?"

"Yes, sir."

"And you're right. We got your request, and we have approved it;" he tells us.

"El Dargon, sir. I sent a denial affidavit when I learned of her request. I thought it would carry some weight," High Priest Micah says.