Flying Without Wings

Zacznij od początku

"You're so annoying."

"Less than you, I'm sure."

With an exaggerated eye roll, I said. "Whatever, Willow. I'm going back."

It was night time, and we were at an abandoned area. This was the spot we had trained at daily. With a rare stroke of luck, I had found it on one exploring day, shrouded in dark and isolated for miles around. I had been skeptical since this was New York, and I had the feeling that anybody could wander in on me and see me. But as days passed and no one snuck up on us, I relaxed, continuing my training with no trouble.

"Fine, but I'm not coming." I frowned at his words and seeing my lost expression, he continued.
"I'm off on my way to find out the Water spirits."

"Ohh..." I trailed off, nodding my head in understanding.
"Well, I'll see you soon again, I guess."

With a subtle nod of his head, he poofed out of existence and I turned around mounting on the motorbike and revving it to head back home.

I had been successfully able to save enough money to finally buy a vehicle. I couldn't get a car since I had no idea how to drive one, but bikes were something I had learnt early on. Besides, it was much more enjoyable for me.

As I drove, my thoughts reminded me that I needed a job soon. Since my work place was on its way to becoming someone else's property, my room above it was going to be out of my hands as well.

Ever since I lost my previous job at the cafe, I had resorted to sometimes singing in the streets for enough money to buy groceries. I knew it wasn't a stable source of income, but it was all I had. And I figured it was probably time to go job-hunting now.

When I reached my destination, I parked the bike and stepped through the backdoor of the cafe, making my way upstairs in the dark to my room. Unlocking it, I sighed as I set down my keys, grabbing a map before lowering myself on the bed.

Sitting cross-legged with the sheet spread out neatly in front of me, I picked up a forgotten pen off the floor.

"Now, where to go?" I mused aloud, looking at the map of U.S.A.

"I can't go back to London, not enough money for a flight." I chewed on the cap of the pen in thought.

"Assuming that most places nearby won't be hiring, since everyone's wrecked after the battle, I think I should be focusing on nearby states." I rubbed my temple, eyes flying over the states but not being able to settle on one.

"Ugh!" I groaned in frustration at my incapability of making a decision.

What if you close your eyes and randomly choose one?

I paused at that. "That would work, yeah." I gripped the pen in my palm, hovering it over where New York was marked.

"Just make sure, not too far." I told myself before taking a deep breath and shutting my eyes.

"Here we go....." I shifted the pen in a circle before randomly lowering the tip, until it touched the paper below.

Carefully peeking to make sure it had not landed in the ocean or something, I wrenched both eyes open, seeing the area I had picked.

"Tenessee." I read out loud, letting a little smile slip on my face.
"Tenessee it is, then."

20 minutes later, I was ready with a bag full of necessities, enough for about a week. If I succeeded in finding a job, I could come back and get the rest of my stuff. And since it was still quite early in the night, I had decided that I would head out now and if needed, find somewhere to rest later.

Oh, by the way, I was flying.

Giddy with excitement, I raced to the rooftop, bag bouncing on my shoulders as I climbed up the stairs. With a quick glance to ensure no one was watching, I took a breath, closing my eyes to concentrate.
I knew this was dangerous, since I really just started practising but I couldn't care less. I was determined to try even if it resulted in broken bones.

Okay...maybe not that bad.

Calming myself enough to focus, I spoke one word in my mind.
'Fly'

And like a rocket launching, I shot upwards.
I let myself whoop in accomplishment, before I directed myself in the specific way that led to Tenessee and propelled forward, shouting with glee when the Air bended to my will easily.

I made sure to be high enough that people below wouldn't notice even if they glanced up, keeping a watchful eye out for anything that might spring up on me unexpectedly. Even as I was cautious, I let myself have fun, performing flips and jumps in the dark sky that I would never be able to do on the ground.

Once I had gotten the hang of it, I was able to multitask, checking my phone to navigate myself without losing control and dropping to my death. And every once in a while, I reached out with my senses to read and verify if the skies were clear.
Just like with the Earth, I could now sense the things that the currents carried. So if anything neared too close or entered my radar, I could instantly fly myself away from it.

I didn't know how long it was that I spent flying or the rate of speed at which I was traveling, but I soon found myself checking my phone.

To my absolute horror and dismay, it was dead.

I stopped flying forward, instead choosing to levitate in the air as I desperately tried to restart it.
It wouldn't switch on, making me realize that, in my haste and poor planning, I had forgotten to charge it.

Concluding that going any further would probably be unwise, I decided to lower myself in the nearest city or town and get the device charged.

"Screw you, Aylin." I cursed at myself, before lowering downward gently.

Almost immediately, I spotted the signs of civilization further in the distance. And I propelled myself as near as I dared. With my heart thundering, I dropped myself gently on a road surrounded with trees on both sides.

Reaching out with my senses, both Air and Earth, I made sure that there was nobody lurking in the shadows before I began walking up towards the place.

God, I really hope I can find a place to charge my phone and quite possibly buy some braincells too.

.

.

.

A.N: More of a filler chapter, I guess?
Thank you for reading.