Chapter 31

Jisoo –

"Kim, are you listening to me?"

I looked at his eyes and saw nothing but a blank face. Mr. Park lost his capacity to contain his craving to discover new things and began experimenting beyond the human's capability.

"I am Sir"

"You see if we can try and keep those nerves alive despite the human body dying, we might be able to save lives" he says while studying the dead body that was smuggled by the group of thieves that Kronos hired.

"Is it really possible sir?" I asked as he traced the scalpel on the head of the corpse.

"Possible to save lives?" he paused and looked at me.

I didn't utter a single word. He was a man cursed with so much intelligence and he believed that he was doing it for the good of mankind. He sees himself doing something that will help the lives of the hopeless who wants to keep on pursuing life despite the zero chance of surviving their incurable disease, including my father that I wish to save.

"If we can only track and collect the right pathogens and create the right virus that can create a cell cluster which can reside between the lobes of the brain, then yes. Maybe we can keep the brain alive and from there, we can figure out the rest as to how the whole body will remain functional"

At first I was so impressed at how dedicated he was to save lives until one day, he started to demand in experimenting an actual living being.

"Kim!! Stop shaking and concentrate!!"

"B-but Sir, I- I can't"

He grabbed the scalpel in my hand and pushed me down to the ground"

"You're useless! You really don't deserve my daughter, you're so weak!"

He was about to cut through the man's skin when I decided to pull him away.

"Mr. Park stop! That man is still alive!" I begged but he didn't stop and pushed me off from him for the second time making me hit the table causing my head to bleed.

"If you can't be any helpful, just stay down!" he gritted his teeth and tied my hands with a cable tie.

"Sir please, don't do this. That man is still alive"

"If we don't try it on a living sample, we wouldn't be able to figure this out. And this man is dying anyway, his sacrifice will contribute to a greater good"

I looked at his eyes that were bloodshot, he hasn't been sleeping for days trying to find the right formula and I'm afraid that I can see nothing but a crazy man and not my lover's father anymore.

As he started to slice the skin of the man alive, I saw how the man's feet shake against the operating bed and I felt my stomach twist until I vomited. My sight started to blur as blood gushed out from the man and I tried to yell and make him stop but he didn't care.

"Stop please!"

"Don't do it!"

"Jisoo wake up!"

Bolting from the bed, I saw Chae staring at me with a worried look. Without saying a word, I pulled her for an embrace.

"You okay?" she asked

"Can we stay like this for a few seconds?" I whispered and I felt her arms pull me closer.

"Is something bothering you?"