TALE OF KAIDA

(A/N- This takes place right before she met Zian and all that Jet attacking jazz.)

I woke up my short hair messy, ever since I cut it that's how it's been holding up, every morning I would wake up with knots but they came out easily with a brush, it was growing back so slow but it was growing back. I gave myself two braids and washed my face in the bathroom.
I walked out seeing a bowl on the table. I was confused by this because we all usually have breakfast together before going to work. I saw the sheet of paper that was placed on the lid and started reading.

Kaida,
   I convinced Pao to give you a day of rest. Enjoy the day to yourself. Zuko and I will take care of everything.

I smiled to myself and set the note down. I really would enjoy a day to myself, no men, no annoying costumers, no spilled tea to clean up. We have been working everyday since we arrived so Zuko, Iroh, and I were always together, I can't remember the last time I had a moment all to myself let alone a day of rest alone, even with Aang and the others. I used to take so much time alone in the South pole, it was always just me and my bending.
I sat down and ate my breakfast enjoying the piece and quiet, when I finished and took my dish to the sink where I was expecting their dishes but they were washed.
How did I not wake up?
I washed my dish then headed to my room and got ready for the day. I still wasn't sure what I was going to do but I knew I wanted to go out and practice waterbending.
I walked down the streets. Clearly we didn't live in the richest part of the city but it wasn't too bad. I made my way down to a small pond that I had seen a few times when I went grocery shopping with Zuko. When I got there I saw the turtle-ducks and I sighed feeling calm. I couldn't remember the last time I was really alone.
As I was waterbending I started to think about the things I've heard around town more like the things I didn't hear around town, no one seemed to care about the war going on beyond the walls. I'm aware that this the safest city but you'd think the people would still worry a little.
My mind sub-sided to the South Pole, to my parents.

Flashback

I threw a snowball at Sokka and he dodged it hitting me with a snowball. The two of us started laughing as we started running and I threw another snowball only this time it hit the back of Katara's head.

"Pfftt" I covered my mouth as I tried not to laugh.

"Kaida!" She whined and Sokka and I bursted out laughing. But I hugged her and soon she started laughing with us.

End of Flashback

That was one of my happiest memories. I was once a happy little girl, yes I was a cry baby and I was afraid of a lot of things but having my family with me always helped me. They were was always there for me.
Then it happened. Instead of being a sibling I became a parent figure, scolding Sokka for teasing Katara and scolding Katara for teasing our brother. I hated it but I have no one to blame but myself.

I stopped waterbending and just sat on the grass hugging my knees, staring at the pond. I was over come with sadness, thinking about my family and thinking about mom only made it worse for me. I stared at the shark tooth in my reflection off the pond. I took it off my wrist and took the necklace off holding both of them in the same hand.
I knew what was going to happen and I let it happen, both times. I closed my hand and my eyes started to water, I tried holding it back. I buried my face in my arms gasping for air but I didn't want to cry especially out in public.

You're alone, it's okay to cry.

And that's what I did. I cried to myself because I was letting go of Yoshiro not in the sense of forgetting him but I was moving on and forgiving myself because it wasn't just my fault. I know that would make him happy for me, that's what he would have wanted.
I was having a harder time forgiving myself for what happened to mom, I wasn't ready. There was still too much that scared me, her death haunted the back of my mind.
I heard the leaves shuffling and then I felt a hand placed on my head. I looked up at Zuko and he looked at me. I felt embarrassed and started to rapidly rub my eyes but he got down and pulled me into a hug. I was shocked to say the least.

"It's okay." He whispered. "I'll be the shoulder you need to cry on."

I looked at him because it was so unlike him to say that. He was looking away to hide his embarrassment, tears were still spilling from my eyes but I wrapped my arms around him and cried on his shoulder letting it all out as he rubbed my back.

I don't want to be afraid anymore.

-------------
This is before the actual episode of The Tales of Ba Sing Se but I felt like it would be confusing if I put it in the actual timeline.
Anyways hope you guys liked it.

Edited; 11/05/20
Re-Edited; 7/10/21