Chapter 2

Sasha POV-

Renesmee leaned into Jacob’s big wolf body.

They’re all going to die and it’ll be my entire fault! Renesmee’s fear started to kick in.

Renny! Calm down. Take deep breaths. I will do everything in my power to keep you safe. I said to her.

Promise? Renesmee Asked

I promise. I said

Can we get strawberry ice cream afterwards? She asked

I giggle. Yes, we can get strawberry Ice cream afterwards.

Yeah! She said happily

As the pause lengthened, I heard Edward, my dad’s breath speed.

“Edward?” Carlisle asked, low and anxious.

“They’re not sure how to proceed. They’re weighing options, choosing key targets—me, of course, you, Eleazar, Tanya. Marcus is reading the strength of our ties to each other, looking for weak points. The Romanians’ presence irritates them. They’re worried about the faces they don’t recognize---Zafrina and Senna in particular---and the wolves, naturally. They’ve never been outnumbered before. That’s what stopped them.”

“Outnumbered?” Tanya whispered incredulously.

“They don’t count their witnesses,” Dad breathed. “They are nonentities, meaningless to the guard. Aro just enjoys an audience.”

“Should I speak?” Asked Grandpa Carlisle.

Dad hesitated, and then nodded. This is the only chance you’ll get.”

Grandpa squared his shoulders and paced several steps ahead of our defensive line. It made me uncomfortable. He might not pay attention to me or know I exist, but his is still my grandpa.  He spread his arms, holding up his palms as if in greeting. “Aro, my old friend. It’s been centuries.”

White clearing was dead silent for a long moment. I could feel the tension rolling off dad as he listened to Aro’s assessment of Carlisle’s words. The strain mounted as the seconds ticked by. And then Aro stepped forward out of the center of the Volturi formation. The shield, Renata, moved with him as if the tips of her fingers were sewn to his robe. For the first time, the Volturi ranks reacted. A muttered grumble rolled through the line, eyebrows lowered into scowls, lips curled back from teeth. A few of the guard leaned forward into a crouch. I crouched ready to protect my sister. Renesmee has a younger mind then me. We were born the same day. But I being more vampire, made my body and mind grow faster.

Aro held one hand up toward them. “Peace.” I rolled back on my heels.

He walked just a few paces more, and then cocked his head to one side. His milky eyes glinted with curiosity. “Fair words, Carlisle,” He breathed in his thin, wispy voice. “They seem out of place, considering the army you’ve assembled to kill me, and to kill my dear ones.”