46. Released

Loud cheers arose as the bell was rung a long series of peals, and I wondered what the pirates thought of all the commotion. I was sure they could hear it clearly through the opened gun ports. Then I thought to their being left alone down there, and I asked Charles, "What if the pirates break free from their chains?"

"We have three guards watching with primed pistols. They will not dare attempt anything."

"Yes, with your attention to detail, I should have assumed."

"Never assume anything, Camille." He stroked my back. "Your questions might remind me of something I had missed. I welcome them, both for this and to ensure you are aware of all matters which interest you."

This warmed my soul, and I sighed. "You say the sweetest things."

"How can I not? You are the sweetest person I have ever known."

New movement ashore prompted us to move to the port rail to better see the activity in the encampment. As men had begun walking toward the boats, one of them stopped to twirl about and dance, then others joined in, and soon, most were frolicking in the sand like children. "All appear strong," I said to Charles.

"Aye, those we rescued said the weak, ill and injured were not kept."

"Oh, dear God!" I raised a hand to my mouth. "Father?"

Charles wrapped an arm and pulled me to his side. "I remember him as a very strong and hale man."

I sighed, and I was about to speak, when a voice behind us asked, "Sir, if I may?"

Charles turned. "Yes, Mister Cogswell?"

"Sir, I am now relieved of the watch by Mister Matthews."

"Thank you."

"Sir, several have asked if we might broach a firkin to assist our celebration."

Charles pointed toward the strand. "Not until we have them all released and aboard. They are a bigger part of the celebration than are we."

"Aye, Sir."

"Tell this to the hands, and while we await the released aboard, take a few to the gundeck and have the pirates stripped of their clothes. Then oversee their laundering. Even wet, they will be better than nothing."

"Aye, Sir. And their boots?"

"What do you think?"

Cogswell paused and nodded. "Better they are barefoot than the released captives."

"Indeed."

"Aye, Sir. We shall remove them, as well."

When Cogswell had headed forward, I asked, "How might we cause him to take more responsibility? Would it help if he were told to ask the questions to himself before asking you? He appeared to know the answer here."

"I have done this with him, yet he still needs reassurance." Charles shrugged. "Some of his questions are valid, like with the ale, though even there, he should have seen the broad picture and known the answer."

By this time more men had joined the frolicking on the strand. Sounds of hammering and the ring of iron on iron still came, so I knew there remained more to be freed. I tried to count, but with their gyrations and leaping about, it was futile.

Charles lowered his glass and passed it to me, saying, "I see two with grey hair."

I whipped the telescope to my eye to scan the group, fast found the two, but I could see insufficient detail to identify either. Though my image of Father was with his beard trimmed short, and never in less than shirtsleeves. Still, my soul warmed at the possibility.

We were silent for a long while as I watched the movements of the two through the glass, then I asked, "How many do the boats hold?"

"Fifty-five each, sufficient for the entire crew of Zeelandia, though very crowded at that."

"So, they can bring all the released in one passage."

"Aye, if their numbers are no more than eighty, as estimated. Though the men on the sweeps will be somewhat hampered in their pulling. Shorter strokes, but well sufficient."

As I continued watching through the telescope the two with long, grey beards, I asked, "Why would the one ship have exploded?"

"I have not thought on this, but I see a possibility that the burst of splinters from a ball caused one of their linstocks to fall onto a stack of gun charges, igniting one and then fast evolving to an explosion. This is why we keep ours in lidded boxes." He paused and stroked his beard. "Another thought is that a ball pierced their hull at the powder magazine, striking sparks from iron fastenings on the way through. This latter seems more the case, given the violence of the explosion."

A short while later, the banging and ringing stopped, and clothed men emerged from the shadows of the canvas, accompanied by a few more in the buff. "There, another grey beard," I said as hope grew.

"That might be him. A proper captain ensures the safety of all others before his own."

"As he had often told me." I studied the man as he walked across the strand, and then while he waited for all the other naked ones to file out the narrow jetty and board the two boats.

I breathed a deep sigh, trembling as I tried to control my emotions. Charles stepped behind me and hugged me to his front. "Those actions show him as a strong leader, likely the captain of one of the ships."

"One of the ships?"

"Those with whom we spoke said they were from many captured ships."

"Oh!" I shook my head and sighed. "Just as my hope had grown. Burst."

"Do not give up hope, Camille." He nuzzled his face into my hair. "Never give up hope until we know."

I nodded, sighing again. Then we fell silent while we watched the grey-bearded man board and settle in the bow. The last of the clothed men pushed the boats away as they boarded, and the sweeps were hoisted and lowered to the water. All was quiet, but for the gentle lap of water against Zeelandia's hull and faint but growing chants from the approaching boats.

When they had neared to within hailing distance, Charles called, "Hoy, there! Is Christopher Cavendish aboard?"

In the bow, the one with the grey beard raised his hand and stood. "Here, good sir."

I shuddered and burst into tears.