19. The Point of No Return

Charles stirred and moaned, and I stilled to watch if he would awake this time. He did not, so I shifted my hips again, thrilling at the sensations. Then with a little more vigour and pressing my nub tighter against him, I continued. Continued as the tension mounted and the shuddering again coursed through my body.

As I slumped atop him, he chuckled and moved his hands to gently knead my butt cheeks.

I giggled, then asked, "How long have you been awake?"

"A fair while."

"Why did you not join me?"

"I wished to not interrupt, that I might delight in your passion. I have grown to love your spirit more than I ever believed was possible."

Our mouths met again to share a kiss, this one with more fervour and exploration. When our lips parted, he said, "You might be with child, and I rejoice in this."

I hummed a loud sigh, and he continued, "I am told it happens one time in six or eight. Often more, but sometimes less."

"So, not every time, as with the horses?"

"No, a mare shows signs to excite the stallion only when she is ready, and he does not rise until he senses this."

"And what signs does a woman make?"

"There is none known to tell when she is ripe."

I shifted my hips and moaned again. "And if this had been that one time, I shall need to hide my belly."

"It will not show before we reach our new home."

"New home?"

"An enchanting place I had found during the return from our last voyage. Fresh water, clean air, and rich land with meadows and forests abundant in game. And the water beside it is filled with fish for the catching and oysters for the gathering."

I sighed at the image his words conjured. "Oh, my. That sounds so wonderful. Where is this?"

"In the land England gained the past while from the Dutch. It is now named for the King's brother, the Duke of York."

"So, we will go there after we have hunted for pirates?"

He rubbed my back and laughed. "There will be no pirate hunting for us."

"I beg your pardon; I do not understand. I had thought that was Zeelandia's purpose."

"Not on this voyage, but it had been before I purchased her."

"And what is her purpose now?"

"Trading." Charles tilted his head toward the window. "We have aboard goods for here, for Jamaica, for Virginia and for New York. And we will take on cargo from here and at each port to sell when we arrive."

"To sell? To whom in the wilderness?"

"It is no longer all wilderness. The Dutch had established many forts, villages and towns in the colony, and their city of New Amsterdam had grown to over three thousand people. Since England gained possession, it has near doubled that, and it expands still. The other settlements all trade there."

I nodded, trying to comprehend. "And where will we live?"

"The wharf I had purchased has a small house, and we will begin there."

"Begin? And then?"

"I have also acquired a tract of land a short distance beyond the city wall, and I had thought to build a grand mansion in a meadow at water's edge."

"Why had you not before told me this?"

"It is not something I would tell a cabin boy." He hugged me close, trembling as he shifted his hips. "But you are most definitely not a boy."

I moaned as he expanded.

A long and intensely enjoyable while later, as we calmed, I asked, "And what of Zeelandia and her crew?"

"My intention had been to continue trading until I found a woman who would have me."

"And now that you have found one?"

"I have not yet considered, this being all so recent. Perhaps lease Zeelandia. Maybe sell. I no longer need her."

"And what of returning to England?"

"I have all I need here." He tightened his embrace. "No reason to return there."

I hummed a series of sighs while I thought, then I laughed. "So, the old beggar was right."

"The old beggar?"

"On the wharf in Portsmouth as I boarded. She warned me I would not return."