Chapter Forty

It felt like my head was full of stones as I sat up. I groaned, clutching my head where a dull pain was making itself very known. A glass of water was brought to my lips, and two blue eyes stared at me.

"Leah?" I asked after taking a sip. What was she doing here? Where was Archer-

My mind interrupted it's own thoughts as I remember what I had seen in the woods last night. I felt the colour instantly drain from my face and I felt like a boulder was laying on my chest making it impossible to breathe.

I needed to go. To get out of here as soon as possible. For all I knew it was only a matter of minutes before the devil from my nightmares came around the corner.

"Althea breathe." Leah said calmly, her hand pushing the hair from my face as I began to get more and more worked up. "Archer is dealing with the intruder, you don't need to worry anymore."

Her words did nothing to stop the grotesque feeling of dread that was clawing up my throat. Archer could do nothing to stop what was already in motion. Not that I would trust him to do anything about it anyway.

Archer was a liar. He had taken my trust in his hands, held it like it mattered something to him, looked at it with tender eyes and spoke to it with a caring tone; none of which was real. He broke that trust, smashed it with brute force knowing how delicate it was.

I was a fool, a gullible idiot to think that he would be different. Elias was the only one I could trust. I should have listened to him, I shouldn't have gotten carried away my emotions.

Emotions that hadn't even been real.

I couldn't help but feel that I had already known that nothing this good could have been real. With every drop that I drank of that vile concoction, I felt that something was not right.

It dimmed my demons presence and my strength, a side affect I had not made the correlation with. I wanted to scream at my own ignorance.

I got up from the bed, opening the doors to the wardrobe and pulling out a bag. I began furiously stuffing clothes into it. The combination of looming terror and pure hatred towards Archer had my head spinning. My chest felt fit to burst, and it was taking everything in me not to just burst into a fit of tears.

"What are you doing?" Leah asked concerned from the bed, watching as I dashed around the room trying to get all the essential things I needed.

"I-I've got to go." Was all I managed to get out, my mind on a millions other things.

His haunting orange eyes from last night were seared into my mind. They shone at me from the tree line like two ambers burning a hole into me. It was the same figure from the night at the bar, he had followed me back.

He had been sent to find me.

I knew exactly who had sent him, and my suspicions were only confirmed by what he said.

"He has found you. He will come."

The sheer overwhelming reality of what he had said make my legs collapse from under me. Everything else form there was a blur, completely shoved aside by what I had heard.

"You can't just go." Leah was up now, alarmed by my determination to leave. I ignored her, going to the bathroom to grab my toothbrush. I was sure there were many things that I was forgetting, but the only thing I could truly concentrate on right now was getting out of here.

I didn't know how much longer I had and with every moment that I wasted he could be getting closer.

I paused in my tracks.