Chapter Nineteen

My soggy hair hit my back, leaving a dark splat of wet on my new top. Archer had told me to shower and left me new clothes to change into. For once I wasn't going to argue with him.

I hadn't changed my clothes since I got here, and it didn't take a werewolf to know that I stank.

I practically stumbled into the shower, eager to get away from Archer, still so shaken up. My whole body was in shock, not sure how to process everything.

I could hardly wrap my head around the existence of werewolves, and now one had decided to permanently attach themself to me.

My thoughts wandered as I began to towel dry my hair.

What was Elias doing right now? Was he sick and worried somewhere not knowing where I am, after turning up to the house and finding it empty. Surely if he saw my truck still in the driveway, he could only assume the worst.

My stomach began to knot with guilt. He would have no idea where I am if he came back. How would he know I was safe.

I almost laugh at myself. Safe with a werewolf; it seems like some sick punchline to a joke.

But there wasn't just one. Last night there were loads of them lurking about in the woods. The whole town is probably crawling with them.

Those men who dragged me down to the cells, where they werewolves too?

I could hardly believe that I was even fathoming that werewolves were real. Part of me felt like this was all some sick joke and someone would scream "surprise".

"Cameron, are you nearly finished?" Archers low voice asked through the door, making me jump.

Every minute since I'd been here, he'd been by my side. It was as if he wasn't right beside me for longer than five minutes he would spontaneously combust.

Swinging open the door, he stared at me with an unimpressed look. "You were taking too long."

His eyes traveled up and down, looking at me from head to toe, inspecting my my simple outfit. He'd somehow managed to find me a pair of leggings and a t-shirt that half fit me.

"You need to eat." He grunted finally bringing his eyes back to mine, whilst I had been squirming around under his hot stare.

Following silently behind him, I daren't say anything, scared that he would get angry and change into that terrifying beast.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked looking back over his shoulder at me, noticing the way I was making sure every step was light and I was exactly a few paces behind him.

"Nothing." I mumbled, trying to not make it look obvious that I was fighting my urge to run in the opposite direction.

When we got to the kitchen, he leant down and in one swift movement, Archer lifted me into the island. I hung my head down, hiding my face from him. His hands lingered on my waist, and I could feel his hot stare on me.

"Okay," He huffed. "what's up?"

I shook my head keeping my eyes trained on my lap. He squeezed my waist gently. "Cameron look at me."

Slowly, I brought my eyes to meet his. Instantly his face softened and his mouth fell.

"You're scared." He muttered in annoyed tone, but I could still hear hurt in his voice.

"No" I tried to make voice sound sure, but the word half died in my throat on the way out.

"I won't hurt you." He pulled me by the legs so that I slid down the counter closer to him, as if that proved what he was saying. I leant back awkwardly to keep the distance between us. "You're my mate. If you get hurt, I get hurt."