Crumbling

On the morning of the third day, Hae moped into the dining hall.

    "Ah, the taste of defeat." China smiled at her. "Bitter, isn't it?"

    "Ah don't actually owe you money, do ah?" Hae asked in desperation. "Ah'm broke."

    "Don't make a bet that you can't pay," China said warningly. "I always collect my debts."

    Hae paled even further, looking at North, who glowered.

     "Do not come running to me," he growled. "You dug this trench- climb out of it."

    "Don't be so confident, China-chan," Nipponia sang. "If they're not back by midnight tomorrow, after defeating Israel today, I win. And if they're back after that, North Hwanghae has a chance."

    "They will be," China said confidently, sipping his tea.

    "I wish I had yer confidence," Ryanggang sighed gloomily. He had returned sometime in the early morning, dressed in his military uniform, though apparently he would be departing again before supper.

    China brightened. "Actually, I've been developing tech that can-"

    "No," North snapped. "No weird technology."

    Kangwon yawned, head drooping.

    "Are you okay?" Y/N asked, and he nodded blearily.

    "I stayed too long at the mosque last night," Palestine said apologetically. "I didn't even realise that he had shown up."

    "It's okay," Kangwon murmured. "I didn't want to interrupt you."

    "You have the day off," North ordered. "I need you well-rested."

    Kangwon offered a half-hearted protest, but ended up capitulating, finishing his rice and fish, and heading upstairs.

    "I need to go to the Grand People's Study House," Hwang said as they walked into the lobby. "I hate to ask, but could you take Palestine, Korea?"

    North nodded.

    "Hey, Comrade Y/N," Krim said, appearing next to her, smiling innocently. "You look really pretty today. Would you like to buy a phone? It would be a shame if you couldn't capture your beauty forever."

    Y/N blinked at her, taken aback, and China sidled over, clapping a hand over the oblast's mouth, hiding her behind his back.

    "Now why would she say that?" He laughed. "Strange kids, nowadays."

    Y/N glared at him.

    "Y/N?" North asked. "Could you stay with Palestine today?"

    "What if something... goes wrong?" She glanced uncertainly at Palestine, who had been flickering all morning, dust rising from his cracked skin.

    "The Party officials will have phones," her Countryhuman said. "And you have that phone I gave you awhile back."

    "What if CCCP needs to call her?" Hwang asked. "The Party phones don't go outside of our service."

    North grimaced, and reluctantly turned to China, who was grinning widely, sensing profit like a shark sensed blood.

    "China," North said, sounding like he was eating something very bitter. "Give Y/N a phone, and text CCCP the number."

    China's grin grew wider. "I've been waiting for this. What colour would you like? We have Silver Frost, Ice White, DeepSea Blue, Gold Blush-"

    They all watched in awe as the red country pulled an increasing amount of phones from his right sleeve, disappearing them back up his left one.