Untrustworthy

Nipponia did indeed receive the same lecture, but louder, peacefully slurping Pyongyang raengmyon while North screamed at her.

      North Pyongan had left, after apologising to Y/N for his 'rude behaviour,' but Hwang and Ryanggang were still around, probably just glad to not be the target of North's yelling for once.

      "-You're irresponsible, obnoxious-"

      "Don't forget 'stunningly beautiful,' please."

      "-Mentally unstable, over-confident-"

      "North, that is enough," CCCP eventually said. "You are scaring Krim."

      "And you-" North whirled seamlessly. "You put her up to this."

     "Да. I did." The older Countryhuman stared placatingly back. "As a fail-safe. No one goes unprepared into negotiations."

     "And it worked," Nipponia chirped, before CCCP shot her a look. "Sorry."

      "I would not have put Comrade Y/N in danger. I would never put the life of a loved one of my children in harm's way. China had everything under control."

      China- who had been watching everything like a tennis match- smiled. "Stealth submarines all around. And he reacted just the way he was supposed to, right, Y/N?"

            She nodded. "Nipponia backed him into a corner, and I gave him his 'good guy, bad guy' choice."

      Their strategy had been based on a fundamental expectation- Canada wanted to be a good country. Not like America's fervent desire to be on top, and only seen as a hero, but to genuinely be good.

       That was why Nipponia's strategy had been so dangerous. By calling Canada out on his crimes, they might have driven him to turn his eyes from them, refusing to acknowledge his truth.

        Y/N's story was a real, tangible reason for their side to be the good side. Tales of Palestinian children being slaughtered by American-backed Israeli terrorists, or the Saudis genociding Yemeni people with America's support, were too far away, not real to a country like Canada.

      Y/N was real. And what good guy wouldn't want to help a terrified, crying girl?

     "It worked, North," China continued. "So please stop yelling at Nipponia. You can keep insulting her, but quietly. I'm getting a headache."

     North glared at CCCP. "Promise that you'll never do anything behind my back again."

      "I promise," CCCP said solemnly, laying a hand on his chest.

       The Korean Countryhuman glowered at him for a little longer, then growled, aggressively taking a seat on his cushion.

      "I'm not promising that to any of you." China smiled.

        "Absolutely no one expects you to," Hwang said, pushing up his glasses.

       "We are asking for promises, not miracles," Russia added.

       Y/N leaned into North. "I'm okay, really," she whispered to him.

      "I know." He wrapped an arm around her. "It just... makes me angry."

      "Doesn't everything?" China asked, raising a brow.

       "For the love of Kim Il-sung, how good is your hearing?!" North burst out.

      "Aside from that," Hwang said. "Now that you're done yelling, can we discuss that Canada is now on our side? The biggest country in the Americas. I would say that that deserves some celebration."