more than a one shot, one shot fic

disclaimer: written by eight-cent-plantation

Lily Evans sat back in her chair. Tonight would be her twelfth night in the Hospital Wing. She pulled her long auburn hair into a ponytail and put her reading glasses over her emerald green eyes. She started doing the homework that they had been assigned that day in Transfiguration Class.

She finished it fairly quickly, as it was only a reading assignment. She put her glasses on the bedside table and sighed.

"Why does it take losing, or nearly losing, someone to realize how much you really love them?" she whispered. She was staring at the figure in the bed that she was seated next to. This figure was James Potter. Lily pushed his messy black hair away from his closed eyes.

James had had a brush with death only twelve days before.

**Flashback**

It was a Hogsmeade day...the first one of the year. That meant it was also Halloween. All students in third year and above had left the castle to reek havoc on the small town for a few hours.

James, Lily, and their friends Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew were walking the streets of Hogsmeade, laughing and joking, on their way to the Three Broomsticks pub to get some butterbeer.

To everyone, it was a normal morning, but before anyone knew what was happening, the morning became not-so-normal. There were numerous popping noises and an army of masked wizards appeared...Death Eaters.

Unforgivable Curses flew everywhere out each of their wands. People were running, screaming, and, in some cases, dropping dead.

"Run!" James yelled.

They were trying to get to the closest passage back to Hogwarts that they knew of. One by one, they dove into that passage. First Lily, then Peter, followed by Sirius, then Remus, then James. At least that's what they thought...

James was hit in the back with a Cruciatus Curse.

As the opening to the passage closed up, the four who had made it in stopped running.

"Where's James?" Lily asked, panting. Then they heard James yelling in pain from outside. "James!"

Lily tried to bolt for the door, but Remus grabbed her and lifted her up.

"You can't go out there, Lils," Sirius said. "They'll kill you."

"What about James?" Lily shouted.

No one could really answer her, so they remained silent. It seemed like they were waiting inside that small tunnel for hours, when in reality it was only about ten minutes. They heard James' screaming stop. The shouts of teachers sending out stunning spells and the Death Eaters apparating away could be heard.

Lily slipped from Remus' grasp and bolted out of the tunnel. The three boys heard Lily gasp as they followed her out. James was lying on the ground, almost motionless, struggling to breathe.

"Lily," he whispered.

"I'm right here, James," Lily said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Lils, I love you," he said quietly. "Have since last year." Lily started to cry. "I think I'm gonna die, Lily," James went on to say.

"You're *not* gonna die, James!" James just smiled weakly, shaking his head, and his eyes involuntarily closed. "James," Lily said, alarmed. "James." She shook him lightly. "I love you too."

**End Flashback**

Madame Pomfrey had told Peter, Sirius, Remus, and Lily that James was in a coma. She said that he could wake up in a month or in a year...