Secrets and lies

Disclaimer: written by @chipzixo

Lily Evans sat in her dormitory, fuming. She wanted to smash something. Anything. Preferably Potter's head.

Why was she fuming? Because she had found out that her boyfriend of two months - James Potter - had lied to her. And if there was one thing Lily Evans hated, it was lies. And secrets. Especially between partners.

Why had he lied? Well, she didn't know. He had told her that he had never been out with any of her friends. Obviously he didn't count Mary as her friend, then - as she had just found out that he and Mary had had a 'fling' in sixth year. He had lied. He had kept a secret.

So she sat, fuming, before grabbing the nearest thing she could find and throwing it. Thankfully it was only her teddy bear, Snowy. No damage done.

"Lily?"

Lily turned to see her friend Alexa poking her head around the door. "Are you okay?"

Lily turned back to the wall. No, she thought, I'm not.

"Listen," Alexa sat down precariously next to her, well aware of the redhead's temper, "You've been here, steaming, since yesterday. Don't you think you should get something to eat?"

It was a good idea. Lily had indeed been in the dormitory for a while - all day, as that day was Saturday. And the sun was now setting - it was teatime. And she was hungry.

She rubbed her fingers across her eyebrow and looked to Alexa, her face softening into a smile. "Thanks, Lexie," she said, "That'd be great."

Alexa smiled too, and stood, pulling Lily up with her. She put her arm around her friend and hugged her. "We always knew Potter was a prat," she said quietly.

Lily nodded. "But Mary? Why didn't she tell me?"

Alexa shrugged, leading Lily down the twisting staircase. "Maybe she didn't want to upset you. She's a bit weak, our Mary, you know. Especially when it comes to the opposite sex," she smiled, and nudged Lily with her elbow, "we all have our weaknesses Lils. Hell, what I wouldn't give for that Remus Lupin..."

Lily giggled at her friend's obsession with the Prefect. Lily knew him well - she was Head Girl, so she saw him often. Potter was Head Boy, so she saw him often too - which, up until the previous day, she had seen as an advantage.

The two girls exited swiftly through the portrait hole and made their way down to the Great Hall. They could already smell the food - it made Lily's stomach grumble at the first sign. Alexa pushed open the door and they made their way to their seats at the Gryffindor table. By now, Lily was in a considerably better mood, as she made herself comfortable, scooping up a slice of pie.

James sat in the great hall, miserable. He wanted to see her, to explain, to apologise. To tell her how much he loved her.

"Why me?" he wailed dramatically, slamming his forehead on the table, just missing his empty bowl.

Sirius, his friend, sighed. "Because you're the one who fell for the crazy redhead who goes berzerk over secrets. Seriously, mate. Get over it." then he laughed, "Seriously! Haha, geddit?" he sighed again, "'Cause i'm Sirius. Oh, I crack myself up. But really, get over it." He finished, stuffing another spoonful of ice-cream into his mouth.

"I can't! I love her!" James wailed, just as dramatically.

"Then tell her," said Remus, his other friend, nonchalantly, "if she knows, maybe she'll forgive you."

James lifted his head swiftly, making his mind spin a little. "Lupin, you're a genius."

Remus glanced up from the book he was reading. "I know."