stupid friends

disclaimer: written by Danielle218

Stupid Friends

Lily reminded herself a bit forcedly that James Potter had Quidditch practice every Friday afternoon (he had ever since Second Year but it wasn't likely she would ever admit to noticing his schedule for so many passing years...), and therefore, he had much more important things to do then sit around and not like her back, which was the exact opposite of what she was doing. And it was with this somber attitude that Lily agreed to go to the library with Marlene to study for their first Charms exam of the term even though it was Friday afternoon and she could think of a million more fun excisions (like watching Gryffindor Quidditch practice) than sitting in the empty, dreary library on the eve of the weekend. And even though she knew she had to study, Lily couldn't deny the fact that her brain these days was a constant stream of James Potter.

So, Lily found herself sitting in the library, a month and half into term, thumbing uselessly through her heavy textbook filled with challenging words reinforcing the notion that she wasn't as brilliant at Charms without studying (unlike James Potter). And there it was again, James Potter seeping into every action she took because James Potter had infiltrated her brain! She would have laughed if the situation weren't so dire by making her so miserable.

If Lily was honest with herself, she wasn't exactly sure when she had finally admitted to actually liking (potentially loving) James Potter. She could very easily chronically explain to herself the years in which she did not like James Potter. And currently, the rolling emotions had begun with "oh Fifth Year: yes, James Potter is attractive and can be very funny but he is rude" to "Sixth Year: oh, well he isn't so bad, actually he's bit witty and handsome and warm" to "Seventh Year: goddamn why has he not asked me out yet?!"

It was sixth year that truly shifted the tide, as spending time with James Potter wasn't morally comprehensible anymore considering she was no longer friends with Severus. Returning to Hogwarts the summer of fifth year had been difficult considering the whiplash she felt from Severus. And though originally she held James and Severus at the same level of contempt, by the end of the year it had been James who had dragged her out of her funk by being unrelenting, dependable and generous in his affection. He was there, always, whenever she began raving and rarely would flicker his eyes even when she took her anger out on him.

James was extremely attractive, she couldn't deny, but as they spent more and more time together (and James Potter truly became her best friend) he only became much more appealing watching him defend against those third years who were picking against the cute first year, or when he sat with her all night and tutored her in Transfiguration before finals. It was his endless energy, she decided, that had her thinking about him at the crack of dawn and smiling slowly into her fluffy pillow by the end of the year. On the contrary, he seemed to care just as much as she did (though he was a guiding problem solver and not a ranting lunatic) that made her feel protected and safe.

He was witty, and gentle, reliable and ambitious, she had concluded the summer before Seventh Year. The way he treated his friends, and especially once her and James had became friends, she realized his dedication. It got to the point where she didn't even look at other males because they just weren't James.

Ugh! She would have growled if she didn't find the whole thing so hopeless considering for at least three years James had chased her and liked her, and now she liked him back and he didn't even notice!

He didn't notice at the end of sixth year when they were splashing around in the lake after he had thrown both of them into it in from the joy of finishing their finals and she allowed him hold her wet body against his as she wrapped her arms tightly around his shoulders and legs around his waist, staring at him intensely in the heat.