#jily

Disclaimer: this was written not on FanFiction.Net but on archiveofourown.org but I couldn't find who it was written by so if you know pls tell me xo

The steady ringing of her phone was what woke Lily up a little past ten on a Monday morning. Probably work, was the first waking thought flashing through her mind. She had graduated university barely a year ago, but she had quickly learned that the more inconvenient the timing, the more likely it'd be her agent Mary giving her a ring. She groaned and blindly groped at the nightstand until finally, her fingers curled around the phone.

"Hello?" she mumbled, her voice thick with sleep, her eyelids still heavy.

"Hi Lily, how are you?"

The male voice at the other end of the line nudged Lily's brain more awake. This was not Mary; this was not work. She blinked blearily, finally prying her eyes open and wincing at the brightness of her room.

"Well, right now I'm feeling tired. You know, had a late night."

"Oh. Right. Of course. I didn't wake you, did I?"

"You did, actually, but it's fine. How are you holding up?"

His answer came in the form of a fit of horrid hacking coughs. Lily grimaced, pulling the phone back from her ear, until she heard him speak. "Sorry," he wheezed breathlessly. "I think you can guess for yourself based on that. Anyway, I just wanted to check up on you. I'm sorry I couldn't make it last night."

Lily snorted.

"Remus. You should worry about yourself. You must be feeling bloody terrible when you even sound like crap."

"I've been better," he admitted wryly. "How was last night?"

"It was trying, but I managed not to strangle Potter."

"That's great. I admit I was a little worried about how you'd get along."

"Honestly, it was fun. I was not happy at first, but Potter turned out to be a decent date and I actually enjoyed myself."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"I hadn't seen him since our graduation and, well... it was weird at first. He's this big rock star now and yet at times he seemed almost humble." Lily paused, shaking her head. "It was hard to reconcile that with the Potter I remember. He was so obnoxiously arrogant back in uni; I really thought all the success would have gone into his head and made it even bigger, but it hasn't. He seems - different."

"I've been trying to tell you that for a while now," Remus said, his voice kind. "Half of all that swagger was from him being a spoiled brat, and the rest was a bluff, typical teenage bravado. But we've been working really hard since we left uni. He's grown up this past year. I think we all have."

"Seems like it, yeah... though I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself."

"Fair enough."

She could hear the smile in his voice, and felt her own lips quirk up in response.

"Listen, Remus... It was really sweet of you to give me a ring but I think you should go and rest."

"I think you're right," he replied ruefully. "Promise me you'll tell me all about it at a better time."

"I promise. Now go and get better!"

"Yes ma'am."

The call disconnected and Lily put her phone down, a small smile still playing on her lips. She stretched and ran her fingers through her hair before climbing out of bed and trotting into the shower.