Coconuts and Lily Evans

Disclaimer: written by @Moonstone

There are many things a person can like and dislike. A person can like coffee and dislike tea. A person can like chocolate and dislike marshmallows. There are many things a person can like and dislike.

But to hate something; that's completely different. Hate is a much stronger emotion and very few people use it in the right context. Everybody says they hate this and they hate that, when in fact it's just a great disliking, not hate. Very few people use 'hate' in the right context.

One such person is James Potter. He knew when to use 'hate'. He knew very well. Ever since he was about three when his mother smacked him for saying he hated the way she made him hang around with the weird muggle neighbour girl who thought that aliens existed.

He knew that when using the word 'hate', he had to mean it.

He used it in connection to coconut. He hated coconut. He didn't dislike it. He didn't despise it. He hated it; with passion. He hated its flakiness when it was used in exotic cooking. The food looked like it had been snowed on, with the most disgusting snow.

He hated the sickly sweet smell it exuberated and even more that false, extremely sugary, tropical and watery taste it left in his mouth the first time.

He hated the hair shells coconuts had. They looked like African tribe's men's heads. It was creepy.

He just hated coconuts.

His friends teased him about it and would always try and trick him into somehow consuming it, Sirius being the most disgustingly inventive one.

'Disgustingly' being the key word. He'd once taken a liking last year, to showering James with grated coconut every morning before poor unsuspecting James woke up, laughing like a mad man whenever James brushed a bit off of his face and muttered something about, disgusting Lilys and a pretty coconut.

Sirius was known to manipulate everything, so James wasn't entirely sure if he had actually ever said that, even if Remus backed Sirius up.

Every morning James would wake up and screech at Sirius for about half an hour, even if he knew Sirius was not listening and then he would spend two hours minimum getting those disgusting flaky bits that resembled evil itself and that wretched overly sweet smell.

After he came out smelling freshly of the 'Rain on Freshly Mowed Grass' soap that he used, which made every single girl in Hogwarts turn into resembling swooning bloodhounds, he'd mutter another Padfoot-Sirius-repellent spell on his bed, in hope that this time it would work.

It never did.

This morning he woke up unusually early due to that disgusting smell again.

"Padfoot," he mumbled again as he hoisted himself off the bed, "I'm going to kill you."

He grabbed his glasses and began scanning the room for any signs of the dreaded fruit but saw none. Snarling very imaginative death threats to himself he trudged out of his room, trying not to inhale through his nose.

He was still muttering to himself when he closed his door and turned around to face the Heads Common Room that he now shared with Lily Evans, the girl of many of his dreams, erotic and almost every other dream genre.

As he surveyed their Common Room, the said girl of his dreams walked out of her room, wearing nothing but an oversized T-shirt, revealing her very luscious legs.

"James!" she squeaked when she saw him and turned as red as her hair. They never woke at the same time in the morning. She was always up first and out of the room by the time he woke up, giving both of them enough time to use the facilities.