an argument and a kiss

disclaimer: written by quidditchrox

An Argument and a Kiss

"You're such an ass!" Lily Evans yelled, bright red in the face.

"You're infuriating!" James Potter roared back at her.

Before Lily could do more than blink, her best friend Mary MacDonald grabbed her arm, pulled her forcefully away from James and up the girls staircase. As soon as the girls gained the privacy of their dorm Lily stormed into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. In defeat Mary slumped onto her bed in frustration with her friend. She knew Lily liked James, getting defensive was her way of protecting herself from rejection. This baffled Mary as James had made it excruciatingly obvious that he really liked her, possibly even loved her.

In the morning Lily walked down to breakfast on her own, Mary must have left early. In need of comfort she wrapped her arms around her middle, which also made her feel more protected from the world. When Lily reached the Great Hall it became clear to her that she would need all of the comfort and protection she could get. Everyone minus the teachers and Slytherins turned to stare at her, some venonously (in the case of most of the female population and any guys who knew Potter well) and some just out of curiosity (in the case of most of the younger students). She spotted Mary in the middle of the Gryffindor table close to the Marauders and instead sat by herself at the very end of the table. Quicker than she'd ever done it before Lily wolfed down her breakfast and walked straight back out of the hall trying her hardest to ignore the looks she was still getting.

Early that evening, back in the girls dorm Lily was under her bed ignoring the world and looking for a rat which she had seen in the dorm a couple of times the past few weeks. Mary, who hadn't seen Lily for most of the day and now felt quite worried, made her way up to the dorm to look for her friend.

"Lil, hey Lil, you in here?" she called upon entering the room.

"Just a sec!" came Lily's muffled voice from under her bed. Mary watched as Lily wriggled out slowly from under her bed, covered in dust and holding a plump grey rat by it's tail.

"What are you going to do with it?" Mary asked with a grimance watching the rat thrash around.

"Let it go," said Lily simply, before opening the dormatory door and setting the rat down outside it.

"So what was it you were wanting?" Lily asked brushing herself down and sitting on her bed.

"Do you wanna go for a walk have a chat with me?"

"Sounds nice, let me get a jumper."

Mary watched while Lily rummaged in her trunk and finally after a few minutes pulled out a wrinkled, washed out black jumper, her favorite one, her dad had bought her it for her fifteenth birthday.

"Ready?" Mary asked once Lily had pulled on the jumper, leaving her hair tucked in the collar of it.

"Okay let's go," Lily finally said with a grin. In a peaceful silence, mainly because both girls refused to talk about themselves in front of others, they walked out of Gryffindor tower. As they were leaving Lily noticed the quietness of the Common Room, and upon surveying the room, also noticed that the Marauders were absent tonight.

Once the girls were out in the deserted corridors they fell into easy conversation about their classes recently, the only two they now shared was Transfiguration and Charms. The girls were planning on following completely different career paths once they left school, Lily wanted to go into Law and Mary into banking, so they needed entirely different classes and as a result spent less and less time together. So at least once a week they both cleared their scheduals for several hours in order to catch up with each others lives. Once they had exhausted classes, Mary moved the conversation onto Lily's Head Girl duties and how they were going. Mary found out that it was going exceptionally well and that Lily and James had been getting along well until last night when they got into their fight. Everything they disagreed about got pulled into that argument, and now Lily thought there would be an awkwardness for a while before they both got over inwardly smiled to herself 'Not for long, when you see what i've got in store for you.'