Chapter 27: So Remember when the Titles were Serious?

Start from the beginning

The long brune nodded, agreeing to my explanation. "He is quite the unique one." Lending our hand again, we shook hands this time. I smiled, does this mean we're friends???

I stepped back, waving at the two before skipping away to my last destination: a familiar reincarnate, "So, Hiro, what's it like: being tasked to bring a dramatic duck princess?" I entertained with a wide smile.

The dark-haired individual only chuckled, his hands in his pockets. "Not worth it." He answered, amused by my phrasing. Raising up my arms, Hiro suddenly narrowed his eyes into a mock glare, tensing his body in wary. "Don't you dare hug me."

Pouting, I dropped my arms swiftly, letting them fall to my sides. "I'm not gonna mess up your hair!" I whined childishly.

"And I'm not gonna take any chances."

Letting silence fall for a moment as we have a staredown, we eventually break it with our laughter. Slowing my giggles to a stop, my head tilted towards the ground. "Ne, can I see your hands for a sec?"

"Huh?" He let out a hint of confusion in his tone. In my vision, I saw him hesitate before slowly slipping his hands from his jacket and pushed them forward. Raising my own arms, I let myself gingerly grab hold of them, earning a small tremble from the boy. "What are you—"

"You'll be facing ninjas that are jonin level," I commented in a soft voice, paying him no mind as I played with his palm and fingers. They were calloused and wrapped in bandages, ones that a child should never bear. I resisted the urge to sigh, why am I getting so worked up like this?

"Uh— yeah? You already told me this." Hiro answered with a hushed voice also, making sure that the others weren't eavesdropping on our conversation.

"I know," I huffed, finally looking at him in the eye. I stretched the ends of my lips for another smile. "Just," Unconsciously, my grip on his hands became tighter. "Stay safe out there."

For some reason, his eyes widen, emotions dancing in them. I couldn't help but wonder: why? Why was he looking at me the same way Sasuke did before?

Watching him swiftly compose himself, I felt his fingers curl around mine as he formed a tiny smirk, a brow arched up. "Who do you take me for, Princess?" The Hyuuga heir questioned, albeit a bit arrogantly. His features then softened, as his hold on me also became tighter. "Don't worry."

I felt my chest become a little lighter with those words, widening my smile. "Hehe."

"Alright!" Shikamaru then announced, a hand up in the air to cue the retrieval team in, "Let's go!"

Freeing my hands away from him, I stepped back and did a sideways peace sign before disap— I mean, walking away from my reincarnation buddy. Let's just hope that he wasn't being too full of himself.

( '⍪⌂⍪')

"The usual bouquet please!" I ordered in front of the cashier. I fumbled with the hem of my skirt, relaxing my posture as a familiar face came into view.

"Oh, Megumi-chan!" Ino's mom greeted with a smile, waving at me. "I'll be right up there, hold on." It didn't take a while for her to do the task, leaning forward from behind the counter with the bunch of flowers gently on top. "Visiting that place after so long?"

I giggled, dropping the yen over her hand with a wave, "I've been busy so I felt like I had too." I answered quickly with my arms grabbing the bouquet swiftly. "I gotta go now, I feel like they're gonna somehow scold me for being so late," I added with a laugh.

The older woman then leaned, even more, her face practically near my ear, "You do realize someone is following you, right?" The light blonde whispered softly next to my ear. "I could deal with them for you."