Chapter 23: Huh. Wasn't so Bad after All

[Chapter 23: Huh. Wasn't so bad after all.]

The funeral was bittersweet and silent, not that it wasn't supposed to be like that. Believe it or not, this was actually my first funeral ever.

Well, unless you consider my clan's funeral where literally only 7 people attended.

Yup, that's how much the Uchiha were hated with their sticks up their ass.

Anyways, here I was, standing next to Sasuke as we listened to Iruka's speech. It was a good one, I had to admit, but I low-key didn't want to listen to it when we're mourning Hiruzen. Like many things in the series, Hiruzen was a controversial topic: he was either glorified at being kind to Naruto and yadda yadda or berated as a weak jerk who got manipulated easily by his 'friends'. I v honestly have to agree with the latter but I can understand those who think otherwise, especially those who are blinded by their childish nostalgia.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I called out to my team when it was over, waving towards Kakashi and Sakura in general. "You guys are invited to our house for dinner!"

"Nee-chan, when did we--"

"Yeah! Great idea, Megumi!" Naruto interrupted, raising a fist up in excitement.

"Re-really? I wouldn't be a bother to you and Sasuke-ku—" The girl faulted on her words, "Sa-Sasuke?" She stammered with red cheeks: I had pinched the girl's cheeks earlier when she said that she felt terrible that she wasn't able to be there when Naruto fought Gaara.

"Nah, not at all," I assured, grasping Kakashi's sleeve before he could yeet himself away to his depression. I stretched my smile as I turned to my teacher, "No objections, dum dum."

"I--"

"No. Objections."

(^^-)

"Itadakimase!" Twirling my chopsticks in between my hands, I dove into the prepared food.

"Oi, dobe!" Sasuke scolded at the said blond, "Quit hogging all of the food over there."

"It's not my fault that you're just too slow, dattebayo!" He countered, swiping a slice of meat before the duck head could get it.

"You...!"

"Mahhh... no need to be all competitive with this," The scarecrow spoke, placing down his empty bowl and chopsticks with a soft thud. Letting out a satisfied moan, the scarecrow laid back against the back of the chair.

"E-eh?!" Our enthusiastic teammate stammered out, slamming his hands on the table, Sasuke taking a slice of tomato quickly. "How do you keep on doing that, dattebayo?!"
I giggled, plopping a piece of food into my mouth. Chewing, I moved my eyes to find a familiar pink-haired girl eating silently. I held in my sigh, is she really still upset about that?

"Oi, Sakura," I blinked, turning to my left to see that, yup, my brother starting a new conversation. Which was to my surprise! "You were good in your match."

The girl fumbled with her chopsticks, widening her eyes at the unexpected words, "U-uh, but...!" Recomposing herself, she lowered her head and lid down her hands, "I... I lost with just one attack."

"Huh?! What are ya blabbing about, Sakura-chan?!" Naruto exclaimed, confused with a brow arched up. "Did you see what you did there? It was so cool!"

"Yeah, yeah!" I agreed, adding on to the motivation train. It's Sakura-Loving hours! "You fucking—"

"Language."