"But Mrs. Ayoola!" Both of us chanted.

"Ejiro, if you're sure its your key you're really going to get from that classroom block you should leave now before I change my mind."

"But Ayo-"

"Is going to her room." She said with a note of finality.

Never in my life have I felt like saying so much disrespectful things to an adult like I feel right now. Why was she this way? What was so wrong about Ayo accompanying me to class? Why did she have to make a big deal out of everything? So many questions!

The walk to the class felt like the longest walk of all my life. It dragged on for like, forever and by the time I got there I was exhausted. Blame it on my lack of fitness if you wish but as for me, I blame it on Ayoola. That's why birds travel in groups-to lessen the burden. Walking long distance alone can really take a toll on you and the distance from the girls' hostel to the class block was definitely long.

After getting my key chain from my locker, I start to leave, preparing my self for the boring journey back to the hostel when Ms. Chioma stopped me on the way.

"Ejiro dear, what are you still doing here? Have you had lunch?" She asked me and I nodded.

"I've eaten. I forgot my keys, that's why I came back." I explained.

"I'm sorry, I know this is supposed to be your siesta time but do you mind giving this to Mr. Kalu in the Physics Lab? Tell him I sent you. If he's not there, just drop it on his table."

Some times, I wonder why teachers like Ms. Chioma are so polite. Its not as if I had a choice either ways cause it would be weird if I say 'no'.

"I don't mind." I told her and smiling, she gave me the files.

Meliora had a separate block for science and computer labs, art and music studios and technology workshop, but thankfully it wasn't that far from here. Mr. Kalu wasn't at the Physics Lab when I entered, but I could tell that I wasn't alone.

"I'm really tired of all this you know." I heard a voice say. A male voice to be specific.

"And you think I'm not? But it has to remain this way, if not my sister-" It was a girl this time.

"To hell with your sister Amarachi. You are allowed to date whoever you want to date! Do you know how many boys she has dated since she was in Year 8 till now?"

"Mide..."

Oh no, I shouldn't be hearing this. This was obviously a private conversation. I need to leave! But the fact that they didn't hear me when I came in doesn't mean they won't when I'm leaving.

"Don't Mide me! Its either we're dating or we're not!"

"Olamide don't talk like that!" Amarachi raised her voice but it sounded shaky. She was going to cry.

"We're not breaking up. I promise." He said, his voice calmer now. "But we can tell our classmates at least. See what happened in class, don't you think its weird for best friends to lose themselves like that? People are going to draw conclusions. And we may not like those conclusions."

"I know but someone might talk."

I needed to get out of here right now. What happens when their done and they come out. They'll see me here and although I was eavesdropping, I didn't mean to. So, I took a step back...

And rammed my back into a shelf. The room fell silent for a few seconds. Amarachi and Mide had stopped talking. Then;

"Someone's there Mide! What if its Chidera's classmate? Mide, what if its Chidera?" Amarachi said, her voice sounding panicked.

"Shh. Calm down. A teacher would be worse, you know?"

"I know but-"

"Shh." He shushed her again. "Let me go and check." A few seconds later, I heard footsteps coming my way.

What do I do now? What do I do now?! I could run, but then Mide might still see me and then it would look like I was actually here too eavesdrop and possibly snitch on them. So I did the only other thing possible, coincidentally the only sensible thing to do: I stepped out.

"Calm down, its me." I said, my voice for some reason, sounding like a squeak.

"Ejiro?"

"I'm sorry. Ms. Chioma told me to give these to Mr. Kalu."

"But you heard, right?" Amarachi had stepped out from behind the shelves now, and it was her that asked.

"Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I promise, I won't tell anyone. I don't even have anyone to tell. Who would even believe me if I said something like that. They'll say, 'shut up Ejiro, you say nonsense all the time.' And they'll be like-"

"Shut up Ejiro." Mide and Amarachi said at the same time both sporting amused looks on their faces. So they weren't angry?

"No we're not." Amarachi said. "But please don't tell anybody for now. We'll tell the class soon, I promise."

Mide turned to look at her. "We will?"

"Yes." She affirmed, giving him a small smile and he wrapped her in a hug. Then as if that wasn't enough, he kissed her. In my front! In front of me! And I thought staying away from truth or dare would be the end of things like this!

"Ejiro you can open your eyes now, we're done." Mide said, laughing.

I opened one eye first, and sure enough they were now standing apart, everyone's mouth to themselves. So I opened the second eye and as soon as I did, they jammed their lips back together.

Oh God!

####

Hey everyone!

Sorry if this chapter is crap, but I promised to bring chapter 10 soon and here it is.

I hope to update this fast from now😪

See you in the next chapter!

love, T