Acceptance and Rising Resentment

Start from the beginning

The barrier that was protecting you fell, and you realized Sans had passed out. With fond resignation, you went to his side and tried to sit him up, but he was too heavy. You turned to the side to see a guilty looking Papyrus with a burnt-out Frisk.

"Could you guys help me with these two?"

****

Gaster blearily looked around.

Where was he?

All he could remember was pain and agony and sudden clarity before all going dark. What happened?

Gaster looked around once more, eye lights flickering when all he could see was black. For a moment he felt so much fear he wanted to choke, mind conjuring up the idea that he was back in the void. But, after focusing, knew he wasn't.

He was just floating in space.

He was dreaming.

...

Gaster rolled his head around, stretching his stiff neck. After patting around his body he attempted to pinch himself but found no pain. Strangely enough, despite understanding he was asleep, he couldn't wake up.

"Hello?" Gaster gathered himself, standing somehow. There was no ground but his feet were firmly planted. He adjusted his coat and shuffled in place.

A bright light burst from his chest, a disconcerting feeling rattling his bones. His patched soul emerged from his chest, floating almost tauntingly in front of him.

This may be more than a dream.

Gaster reached forward but stopped, deciding to wait and see if anything would happen. Looking more closely at his own soul made him frown. Black patches had already tainted his once white soul since being in the void, but now it was more noticeable than before.

He tilted his head, narrowing his eyes. Sans had managed to save him by binding his soul to his body–he was lucid enough to understand that now. But Gaster now was left with wondering.

Did he still have to live in constant pain?

...

Perhaps he deserved it.

...

No matter.

Gaster waited for his soul to return patiently. He instinctively knew he wouldn't wake until it did. Although this appeared to be a dream, it was also a separate state of consciousness allowing him to interact with his own soul safely.

There was no red in his soul. Of course, monsters should never have determination, but the red he was looking for was from Frisk.

And there was nothing.

...

Even if he wanted to erase the status of soulmates he knew not how. Despite being a royal scientist, despite knowing so much about monsters and souls to the point of dedicating his life to it, he still didn't know all.

Frustrating.

Truly. Frustrating.

If his soul no longer called out then everything could go back to normal. Gaster should be happy he could live, yet was not. He was selfish. He wanted to have a soulmate.