Reunited

"So when boiling the water you do not check the temperature with your hands?" Gaster kept a hand hovering over the pot.

"NO. THAT DIRTIES THE WATER."

"Papy, you can't dirty boiling water. You don't check the temperature with your hands because it will melt your hands off." Frisk tugged on Gasters' long coat, shaking their head when Gaster still went to put his hand in the boiling water.

"HOW GHASTLY." Papyrus grimaced.

"Yes, that is quite ghastly." Gaster finally relented and backed away, now moving over to the pasta packets Papyrus and Frisk set out. "So now what?"

"We choose the shape!" Frisk hopped a bit but couldn't reach anything. Papyrus took pity and picked them up before placing them on the counter. "Whichever one looks the most appetizing is the one we eat. We had bowties yesterday so pick something else."

"There are many options." Gaster hummed slightly, studying each package closely. Papyrus nodded in approval.

"I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU ARE THINKING CAREFULLY. IF YOU HAVE THE WRONG SHAPE ON THE WRONG DAY THE WHOLE MEAL IS AWFUL."

"Yup, yup!" Frisk nodded their head aggressively, messing up their own hair in the process.

You watched the three with a small smile, completely taken with the domestic scene. It'd been a while since Gaster had come to live here, and he was still not quite adjusted to his physical form. It was clear Gaster didn't really know how to act like a normal person–er, monster. Maybe it was because of the long time lost in the void. Either way, at least now he was allowed in the kitchen without the worry of him tripping and falling onto a knife.

You appreciated how hard the older skeleton was trying. It was clear he was desperate to make up for the lost years with his sons. He also treated Frisk like his child, too. Papyrus was happy to have a bigger family, and Frisk adored Gaster.

All was well.

Except...for Sans.

Inwardly you sighed. Sans went above ground on a supply run since nobody else could do so reliably. You wanted to go with but he teleported before you could even ask. While lost in thought you realized that Gaster had approached you. With a tilt of the head, you smiled, looking up at him from where you were sitting. "Enjoying cooking?"

"Yes, it is delightful. Unfortunately, I have been evicted from the kitchen after choosing the wrong type of pasta shape." Gaster frowned while you pursed your lips to stop yourself from laughing. He looked so upset.

"I'm sure you'll get it right next time." You gave a thumbs up. He hummed in response, standing awkwardly. "Here, sit down." You pulled out one of the dining room chairs and patted it.

"Many thanks."

"Sure, sure," You waved a hand. "Actually, I wanted to ask you about some things." Gaster hummed again, raising a browbone. "Nothing bad. I just wanted to know if you remember anything about...Sans." You glanced to the side, biting your lip.

"About Sans?" Gaster rubbed his chin, "I have little recollection of the time before I was lost in the void."

"Oh." You faltered, eyes drooping.

"Though I can explain other things." Gaster adjusted his posture, "Perhaps you have questions regarding magic? Or souls? Anything of the like?"