Banners and Stuffed Penguins

Start from the beginning

"Worksheets," Mr. Howard said, waving the worksheets in his hands.

That means I can finish today's work and go straight to the library. But knowing Luke, I know he would want to come with me.

"I'm going to go to the library," I whispered to him when I finished the worksheet.

"Okay, just wait til I'm done," he smiled, still on the first page of the assignment.

"You have work. I'm just going to do some research, I've been holding it off for awhile now." A lie but also the truth. I need to get back to searching for the bastard. "Just meet me after class."

He nodded. "Okay," I grabbed my stuff and stood up. "Kiss first." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and leaned down to give him a kiss. "After class." I whispered. "Tell me if you're going to the library."

"Promise." He smiled.

"Save the romance for lunch, Ms. Heart." I heard Mr. Howard say.

I chuckled and went to put the assignment on his test. "See you next week." I saluted him.

I walked into the library and found Ashton and Mikey working on balloons, Lulu and Calum working on the banner, and Max . . . Wait, Max?

"Ash," I walked up to him. "What's going on?"

"We're prepping." He smiled, waving the balloon.

"I meant . . . " I faced his body towards Max. "What's he doing here?"

"He wants to apologize about what happened."

"Ash, I don't think we can trust him." I crossed my arms.

"Come on, L. Max's been my friend since the eighth grade, the fight was out of jealousy."

I pulled him into one of the bookshelves, making sure no one saw us. "His dad stopped by my house, he said he's a psychiatrist that he can help me."

"His dad's a retired cop."

"He said he was a therapist."

"What's your point?"

"My point is, Max's dad could've been the rapist."

"But why would he want to help you?"

"Maybe he wants to shut me up. I mean, everyone in this town knows I'm looking for the rapist," I shrugged. "He probably knows I'm getting closer to finding out it was him."

"Proving that it was him." He snapped.

"Lola," I heard Max.

I rolled my eyes and turned around. "What are you doing here?" I crossed my arms.

"I want to help," he smiled with his irritating smile. "I think we should hold the banner instead of hanging it," he shrugged.

"Sure, I'm not carrying it anyway," I shrugged, passing them.

I heard Lulu squeal as she came over to me. "I can't believe you're actually asking him to prom."

I rolled my eyes, wishing I didn't involve her in this. "Yeah, can you shush now?"

"Never, my sister's actually acting like a high school girl."

"Don't remind me," I muttered. "Where's Piper?"

"In class, she can't make it now, because she just started school."

I nodded then looked at the banner. 'We're Going To Prom.'