Chapter 17

1 week later

It has been a week since the whole fortune teller accident and we are stopping by the northern air temple. We heard the rumors but I made sure to shoot down any and all concerns of sokka and katara by making it clear that the are fake.

The air balloons were a major part of the war and by stopping it from getting into the hands of the fire nation, I may be able to cut down the casualties of this war by a large amount though it will have unintended consequences, I am completely willing to take them. I can easily sneak in and get this master creator out of this hole.

I don't intend to stay there and make friends all buddy buddy. Those people knocked down centuries worth of history for some pipelines. They could easily just go around but they broke the entire temple. There is a difference between introducing technology and removing history.

When you want to build a library, you don't destroy the older ones and replace them. You let the old library stand as a sign of historical heritage or at the very least as a stand alone library. These guys could have easily build another temple or preserve the centuries of historically significant culture but they ruined it all.

My views on these people were very clear and I made my view known to my friends. They completely agreed with me and I still needed that technology to be kept away from the fire nation. Even though I don't remember the temples and I don't agree with aang's views on the world, I still deeply respect him and the air nomads for their conviction and optimism. Every time I bend air, I remember that I am an airbending master from this group of monks even though I am not aang, I am a who I am.

We arrived there on appa. I didn't have any disguises and my air bending mastery tattoos were on full display. I could sense a tiny bit of appa's emotions and I could feel his anger and annoyance rolling off in waves as he saw the air temple. I don't know if it did, but I think my chi was reflecting my emotions as well.

The refugees saw the air bison and the avatar standing on top of him and gathered to the outside of the temple in hordes. I could see them as a bunch of faces.

"Appa, we land on the landing pad. Don't worry, I will teach them a lesson regarding historical significance of architect."

"Aap" he seemed to agree with me.

Appa hovered over the pad before finally landing, I jumped over to the horde with the air bending staff that I don't us usually use. I normally keep this staff with Appa, to avoid suspicion and cause I don't really use weapons, especially a glorified stick, but this calls for an exception.

"Avaataata. You are the avatar!" It was the kid with the disabled legs.

"I would like to speak to the person in charge of this group of refugees" my voice was cold and by now I could see the mechanic had already come here along with everyone else.

"Why? We haven't done anything wron-"

"Like hell you haven't done anything wrong. What would you do if I came to omashu and burned down the libraries to make room for a statue. What would you do if I destroyed the walls and redecorated them as a decoration. What would you do if I took the very home you came from and destroyed it completely for the sake of boredom.

The air nomads welcomes everyone into their homes but you spit on their legacy completely by destroying every scripture they worshiped. How much of the temple have you destroyed? Centuries of history buried within these walls. Hundreds of scriptures valuable enough for others to kill. Statues depicting the greatest warriors, Millennia of history conserved within this temple and what do you do? You destroyed it all.

Those walls you took down to make way for a few pipes. There is place on that hill opposite to this temple, but imstead of going there and establishing your own history, you destroy the legacy of someone who allowed you here, and would have welcomed you if they were alive. You are worse than the fire nation in that regard to me.

All of that and you ask me what wrong you have done. YOU HAVE DISRESPECTED EVERYONE AND YOU HAVE THE GALL TO ASK ME WHAT WRONG YOU DID?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF I DESTROY THE EARTH NATIONS HISTORY FOR NO REASON?"

At some point, I don't know when, my eyes slowly started glowing along with my tattoos. My voice started growing and became deeper and a mixture of a hundred voices. By the time I was done with my tangent, they were horrified and I had become a third person within my own body. The words weren't my own and I felt like part of a hive mind.

The avatar state.

It was strong, it made me feel strong. Addictive. Hard to control. I can feel the wills of a thousand avatars before pressing down on me. I made no effort to fight it but I instead guided the wills how I seek. It was hard and I was completely failing. But second by second I could feel more and more control.

Before they could compared what they have done, I flew into the air and bender the very earth on which the temple is made of. The entire temple started moving and the doors were sealed with stone. All the broken walls, destroyed statues, inscriptions and carvings on the wall were remade as a replica.

All the junk technology and steel was destroyed or crushed to pieces by the earth. Every glider, every pipe and moving part, was crushed and I could see their desperation and fear.

"How do you feel, every invention, every idea you made, destroyed in-front of your very eyes. Imagine if you had a millennia of progress, crushed in front of your eyes. That is exactly how I felt but much worse. The people who I called family, died here. My own blood, these temples are all I had of them left. And you destroyed them"

Those weren't my words. I could feel an avatar speaking them. Most likely an airbender. All of the junk was crushed and heated into a ball shape.

I got back onto the ground, still in the avatar state, and walked towards the center room. I activated the entry point with my bending and destroyed the every single design and prototype lying there, before I continued remaking the temple.

Each and every statue was remolded and the walls were reshaped. It was different from the original but still carried the historical significance. I don't even know how I know that it is different considering I haven't been here but I guess I can access the other avatars memories.

I couldn't remember anything from there,

By the time I calmed down and fainted due entering the avatar state, the entire temple had been made anew and renovated. I remember that I fainted and fell onto katara but I don't remember anything else.