𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟕𝟎

Start bij het begin

Obi-Wan raised a brow as he remarked dryly, "Well, you found me, and you know I'm not going anywhere, so what are you doing next? Where do you plan to go?"

Astrid drew her eyebrows together as she replied with no small amount of hurt at his slight dismissal, "I'm staying here with you for now, and I--I hope I can persuade you to join me in that time." He gave her a doubtful look. She continued, "And then after that, I, uh, will go--"

She trailed off with uncertainty. Astrid hadn't really thought that far ahead. She'd truly only been thinking in the present.

A faint smiled tugged at Obi-Wan's mouth as he said, "Perhaps you can find more allies for your cause."

"Allies," Astrid repeated thoughtfully in a murmur as her eyes turned down to her plate.

What other allies were out there?

None.

Her mood plummeted. Bail's Resistance had failed before it had even begun.

Obi-Wan must've noted her sudden downturn of mood because he asked, "What's wrong? What are you thinking?"

Astrid raised her eyes to his face as she answered curtly, "I'm thinking that this Resistance is doomed to fail. And I'm thinking it might just be easier for me to go solo and kill Vader, myself. Then I could go and kill Palpatine, and someone like Padmé Amidala or Bail Organa could take over as Chancellor of the New Republic."

Obi-Wan's forehead creased with concern, and he began gently, "Astrid, you must realize the futility of your plan here. You can't possibly best Vader alone. He's too powerful. He has the strength of the Dark Side."

"Then maybe I'll join the Dark Side just so I can kill him," Astrid retorted sharply, angry now. Her hands clenched into fists. "We will both go down together."

Obi-Wan gave her a disapproving look before continuing as if she hadn't spoken, "Not to mention Palpatine-- or shall we say, Darth Sidious-- is perhaps even more powerful than Darth Vader. If you die in order to kill Vader, then who will be there to kill Sidious?" He waved a flippant hand as he spoke with a carefree tone, "Darth Sidious would simply find a new apprentice, and your death would have been meaningless."

At that moment, Astrid hated Obi-Wan's sensibility because she knew he was right. Her shoulders slumped in defeat as she released a heavy sigh, her eyes turned downwards in shame.

"You're right," she murmured.

Artoo gave a small beep of sympathy.

Suddenly, Astrid's comlink gave a beep, and her and Obi-Wan both flinched in surprise. Astrid lifted her wrist as she looked down at the comlink Cleo had given her, and she saw that Cleo, herself, was signaling her.

With a slight frown, Astrid accepted the call, and a miniature, blue hologram of Cleo appeared above the comlink. "What is it?" Astrid asked immediately.

Cleo looked mildly distressed as she answered, "Look, Astrid, you need to come back. Bail happened across some intel. He's gathered a few more allies, and he wants you to go with them to investigate the intel. He trusts you more."

"What intel?" Astrid asked as curiosity and confusion swirled inside her.

Cleo swallowed before saying, "It's best if you come back from wherever you are to hear this." She paused before adding, "You never know if someone has tuned into our frequency."

Yet, Astrid felt it was more than that.

Nevertheless, Astrid nodded and replied, "Fine. I'll be there within a day."