thrity four

the play about 9/11 in this episode might be seen as controversial to some, but if you've watched "skins" you already know what's up... viewer discretion is advised :)

College had started back up, and Maxxie thought that the best way to break in the new school year was by being more involved in extra curricular activities. And that's how me, along with the rest of our group, ended up joining Roundviews production of "Osama: The Musical," a tragic musical about the disaster of September 11th, 2001.

Maxxie and Michelle were the only ones from our group that were actually in the production, as they were the only ones with any real musical talent. I couldn't carry a tune to save my life and I danced like I had two left feet, so I was assigned to prop design along with Chris, Anwar, Sid and Jal. Even Tony was there, watching the rehearsal.

"No, no, no, no, no!" Mr. Gelcart, the drama teacher, exclaims as Maxxie and Michelle kiss on stage. The two pull apart, Michelle rolling her eyes in frustration at Mr. Gelcart constantly interrupting. Gelcart stands to his feet, holding the script of the musical he had written in his hand.

"Do you know what this is?" He refers to the script, as he takes a lighter out from his pocket, igniting it and lighting the tip of the script on fire. My paintbrush stops moving against a wooden door frame, as I glance over to see what the hell Gelcart was doing.

"This is my script, and I'm burning it," he tells us like we didn't already know. The script ignites into flames quickly, the fire burning the paper and traveling closer to his hand.

"Can somebody give me a hand please- quickly, quickly-" Anwar rushes over, holding a box that Gelcart quickly drops the fiery script into. "Thank you- damnit, I burnt my finger- but you all made my script shit! SHIT!"

He runs up on stage between Maxxie and Michelle, placing his hands on his hips with an attitude.

"Do you know what we're doing here?" Gelcart asks them. When neither of them respond, he lets out a groan, before messaging his temple with his hand. "This is an opportunity- a real opportunity- to tell the tragedy of my people."

"You're American?" Michelle questions.

"Yes I am... Metaphorically." Without warning, Gelcart grips Michelle by her shoulders, staring into her eyes with such intensity that it made me uncomfortable. "Two hours time, you will be dead. Dead! Because Osama in pajamas is making his way up the stairs to take us, unaware!" He finally releases Michelle, before turning around to the choir behind him.

"Outside the world is crumbling! The towers are coming down!" He points back to Michelle. "Soon, she'll forget, when two lips- oh, time for show and tell-"

Gelcart takes us all by surprise when he grabs Michelle and inappropriately kisses her on the lips for an uncomfortable amount of time. Michelle tries to pull away from the drama teacher, while all of us watch with grimaces on our faces. Chris accidentally paints my bare arm beside him, too focused on the inappropriate kiss to realize his paintbrush had slipped off the board.

Gelcart finally lets Michelle free, and she wipes her lips clean of Gelcart slobber as Gelcart pats Maxxie on the cheek, lookin proud of what he'd just done.

"Now that's how you do it," he tells Maxxie. "From Michelle's verse, come on everybody!"

Gelcart leaves the stage, leaving a confused Maxxie and an audibly disgusted Michelle. But the show must go on, so as the instrumentals begin playing, she shakes out her nerves and prepares to sing.

"I bring you coffee and a bagel," she sings. "But you never had the time for me. I dreamed that one day you'd say hey girl... That bagels mighty fine, it's plain to see."