twelve

I never wanted to hit someone more than I wanted to hit Abigail Stock.

My head laid on Maxie's lap as him, Anwar, Chris and I passed a spliff back and fourth, and we all watched as she pranced around the quad like she was the shit.

"You think she knows how mental she looks?" Maxie asked.

"Probably not," I tell him, taking a drag of spliff. "There's not much going on in her prissy-posh head."

"Yeah, but Tone still doesn't seem to care," Chris says, nodding towards Tony who shares secret smiles with Abigail, who struts her stuff past him in her school uniform. Michele sits beside Tony, digging through her bag, unaware of her boyfriends wandering eyes.

"Poor 'Chell," Anwar says. "How can everyone see it but her."

"Blinded by love, my dear boy," Chris announces, taking the spliff from between my lips and putting it to his mouth. He finishes the last of it before standing to his feet.

"I've gotta get goin," Chris says. "Don't want to miss psychology.

Anwar's forehead creases in confusion. "That class doesn't start for another 10 minutes."

Maxie laughs, shoving Anwar's shoulder playfully. "He's gotta get a few minutes of alone time with Angie, if you know what I mean."

Chris swats his hand at Maxie, dismissing him. "Fuck off. I'll see you wankers later."

We all bid him farewell.

Anwar and Maxie leave a minute later, wanting to find Sid to mess with the poor boy. So soon it's just me, and as I try to rest my eyes under the bright sun, a big shadow blocks it from me.

I open my eyes to see Tony standing over me.

"McGuinesse," he calls me with a cheeky grin. "What are you doing tonight?"

I close my eyes again and let out an annoyed groan, completely ignoring his question.

"Don't move Tony, you're blocking the sun."

I don't have to see him to know he rolls his eyes.

"I'm not asking you on a date, you idiot," he says. "I want to know if you'll come to my choir concert."

A laugh escapes my lips.

"You? Singing?"

"Yeah," he tells me. "And I'm quite good, so you better be there. Sid and Michelle are going too."

I think about it before answering.

"Fine, I'll go," I say. "But only to make fun of you."

***

Chris wasn't invited to Tony's concert, but Sid, Michelle and I ran into him at the church.

"What are you doing here?" Sid asks him as the four of us walk in.

"I heard choirgirls, so I came," Chris says. "Shall we?"

Most of the seats were already full, so we had take seats near the back next to some man in a suit. Chris was sitting next to him, and tustve not liked what the man was talking about, because he grabbed my arm and dragged into new seats a few rows ahead. Michelle and Sid followed of course.

As we settle in, a bunch of posh choir girls enter the stage in their uniforms and everyone in the audience starts clapping. Music starts playing, and the girls begin singing.

"Where's Tony?" Sid whispers, as he's nowhere to be seen.

"I don't know," Michelle responds. "Fuck. We better be at the right concert."