The Tower (Part Two) // Enchanted Forest

*one year ago*

The Kingdom was awoken by great news indeed: their beloved princess Snow White was with child! Her subjects were ecstatic knowing a new royal would be joining the kingdom, as well as being incredibly happy for their ruler. Snow almost sung with glee as she approached her sister with the news. 

"Oh Snow," Kyla said, pulling her little sister in for a tight hug, "that is wonderful news!" Pulling back, she held her shoulders, "I am so happy for you. I assume Charming is delighted as well." 

Snow's smile faded slightly. 

"What is it?" Kyla asked, her tone concerned. 

"He said, he was," she answered, "but something seems off. I think he's scared, Kyla," her voice was a whisper. "We've lost Emma...twice now. I'm a bit apprehensive myself."

"Well, of course. That's only normal. But, hey," Kyla grabbed Snow's hands, "you have me now. And magic or not, no one is going to hurt my baby sister or my niece/nephew. You will be protected," she swore. 

"Oh," Snow said, pulling her into yet another hug, "I can't believe it took us this long to get here." When Snow pulled back, she cupped Kyla's face in her hand. "I love you, my dear sister." 

Kyla smiled and bowed slightly in respect of the princess.

The word love was still tough for Kyla. The first she had felt true love was with Pan, and he turned out to be an evil psychopath who is now dead. 

Some days, she missed the tower. There, she learned to rely on herself. There, she was strong. There, even though she was trapped, she felt free. 

It was exhausting having a family.

To calm her thoughts, she decided to head to the stables for a ride through the woods. She missed Max, but was trained enough to ride any horse. 

She lost track of time on her ride, like she usually did, allowing the cool air to fill her lungs with each gust of wind. The horse was becoming tired, so she rode back reluctantly. The silence - the loneliness - was exactly what she needed. She missed it. 

Back in the stables, she brushed her dark brown horse back and forth, almost mindlessly. That's when she heard the barn doors burst open. She was tucked in the corner, so it was hard to see who walked in. She heard heavy breathing and the popping of a bottle. 

The doors opened again, this time a voice speaking up. 

"I used to keep a bottle hidden in my quiver," Robin Hood said. 

"I..." David trailed off. Then he changed the topic, "Are those gold tipped arrows?" 

"Payment for helping the Queen break into her castle," Robin explained. "I never thought I'd be paid to break in somewhere. It just feels wrong somehow."

"That's very generous. The Queen must like you." 

"No, I simply think she wants me out of her castle as soon as possible. But, for now, it's the best place for my boy. With a witch on the loose, my first priority is keeping my family safe. I'm sure you understand that."  

"I do," David said as he took another swig. 

Robin asked David if there was anything he needed to talk about. David went on with a story about how he dueled with a black knight in order to protect Snow and Emma, almost dying in the process. His confidence never faltered. 

"I just can't seem to escape this feeling of...dread," he explained. 

"You know, after my wife died, Friar Tuck told me of a root that, if digested, would help one overcome any and all fears."