Emotionless // Storybrooke

"They won't like this," Kyla said as she reluctantly brought Maleficent to Granny's Diner. The heroes were holed up in there once again. And, like every other moment since the curse broke, something was wrong. When they reached the diner, Kyla stopped Maleficent. "Let me go in first." 

"Really," Maleficent said dubiously. 

"You think they're going to welcome you with open arms? Kidnapping doesn't win any hearts around here, sorry," she said, walking away from her and opening the door.

Emma was pacing while her family sat at a table. They all turned to look at Kyla as soon as she entered. Concern plagued each face. 

"What happened?" Kyla asked, letting the door close behind her. 

No one answered immediately, but Kyla could see by the look on Emma's face that it was really bad. Finally, she answered. 

"Cruella's dead," she said, her voice flat. 

Kyla's eyes widened. "What?" 

"She kidnapped Henry," Regina said. She was sitting as close to Henry as she possibly could. "Held a gun to him and everything." 

Kyla looked at Henry, who didn't look shaken up at all. "Are you okay?" 

Henry nodded, not daring to speak. There was more. 

"How did she..." Kyla trailed off. Emma was heated. Angrier than she should have been since getting Henry back. Then, she looked to her sister who appeared to be close to tears. "Oh, Emma." 

"I didn't have a choice," Emma said. 

"You're right," Kyla agreed. "If it's Henry's life or Cruella's, you made the only choice you could."

"It's Gold's fault," she said. 

"How?"

"He sent Cruella after Henry. He's trying to darken Emma's heart," Regina explained. 

"By making her protect her son? He could have died." 

"No," Snow said, "he wouldn't have." 

The silence that hung between them was deafening.

"The Author," David spoke up, "he knew Cruella long ago. They have a lot of history between them, but the fact of the matter is, the Author was continually changing stories. He changed Cruella's story. Once he saw the evil in her, he made it so she could never kill anyone." 

Kyla looked back to Emma. 

"Did you know that?" She asked. Emma shook her head. "Well, there you go. Self-defense." 

"But-" Snow said, but was interrupted by the door opening behind Kyla. 

"Enough," Maleficent's voice said. Everyone stiffened as Kyla hung her head, wishing she had stayed out there longer. "I may be able to help you with all of your problems." 

As they all stared at Maleficent, Kyla pointed behind her. "By the way, Maleficent's here." 

"It now appears we have a common foe," Maleficent said, addressing the room, "Rumplestiltskin." 

"He resurrected you," David said. 

"To help himself, not me. Cruella's death only confirmed that." 

"Oh, now you want to turn on him before he turns on you," Hook said. 

Kyla looked around, realizing that no one, not even Regina, had any concern for Rider. No one noticed he was even missing. They were all too focused on Emma.