Ch 20

"So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asks

We sat around a campfire at Rixon's Cove. I sat next to JJ with my hand in his. Now that everyone knew about us we could be public with our affection.

I notice John B and JJ glance at each other. "Guys, What are you not telling us?"

"Might as well tell them, man, before we're gaffed." JJ says.

"You ready for this?" John B asks us.

"Yeah." Kie says looking between them.

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

"Oh, my god. Here we go again with this." Pope rolls his eyes.

"Guys, there was no gold." I point out.

"No. All right, wait. Hear him out, alright?" JJ asks.

"Fine."

"It's been here the whole time. It's on the island." John B shares.

"Are you serious?" Kie says shocked. "Oh my god."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope cuts in.

"I'm sure you would, Pope, but can I please present you my evidence, sir?

"Proceed."

"Alright, so, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell is that?" Kie asks.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out." JB unfolds the piece of paper.

"What?" John B hands the letter to Kie.

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom. After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll please, because that farm is... Tannyhill plantation."

"Tannyhill?" Kie questions.

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him. So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold."