Ch 18

The next evening JJ and I meet Pope and Kie at Heyward's

The next evening JJ and I meet Pope and Kie at Heyward's. JJ and I had spent the whole day "relaxing" at my house. We talk about the events of last night and how to deal with the Kooks while Pope works. Though, shortly after I arrived, Heyward notifies Pope that someone was there to talk to him.

Shoupe walks in the front door of the building. I take a step in front of JJ.

"Evening Officer." Pope says nervously.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property. Hands where I can see them."

"Let's see that warrant."

"Sir, you're arresting him?" Kiara asks.

Shoupe ignores Kiara, continuing to turn Pope around.

"Anything you say, can and will be held against in a court of law." Shoupe ignores every protest any of us have. "You have the right to an attorney."

Shoupe begins to walk out the door with Pope. I step in front of him.

"You can't just arrest him. He has rights. You don't get to treat us like garbage because we have less money than the other side of the island."

"Move, girl."

"Hey, don't talk to her like that." JJ yells.

I step out of the way, wanting to avoid further trouble. People continue to protest the arrest as Shoupe leads Pope to the car.

"It wasn't him!" JJ yells. I turn around, wide eyed. I look at him, his eyes connect with mine. An apologetic look crosses his face. "It was me!"

"JJ.."

"He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad cuz he'd just got beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." JJ looks over at Pope. "I can't let you take the blame for something I did. You've got too much to lose."

"JJ, what are you doing?" Pope asks.

"I'm telling the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth." Everyone watches him carefully. Tears burned in my eyes. "I took his old mans boat too."

"What the hell?" Heyward spoke.

"JJ come on." Pope tries.

"Just shut up, Pope." JJ explodes. "He's a good kid. You know where I'm from." JJ yells at Shoupe. "This was all me."

"That's the whole truth?" The officer looks to Pope.

"Whole truth, swear to god." JJ says.

"I know what you think, damn it! I'm asking Pope."

Pope hesitates a long time. "Yeah, that about covers it."

Shoupe begins to pull out handcuffs. "Hey, hey. Wait a second. Let me say goodbye to her." He motions to me. Tears were running down my face.

"Fine." Shoupe obliges.

JJ walks over to me, pulling me into a hug. "J, what are you doing?" I cry.

He pulls away, wiping the tears from my face. "Please don't cry."

"JJ..."

"I can't let him take the fall. It's just as much my fault. I was there and I encouraged it."

Tears fall down my face, I shake my head. "You're an idiot." I breathe.

"I know. I'll be okay, baby. Everything is gonna be okay, Kat. I promise you."

I nod my head. "Okay."

He presses a lingering kiss against my lips, gripping my waist with both hands. "I love you, so much." JJ says.

"I love you too." I wipe the tears that had begun to trail down his face.

"Be safe." He whispers before kissing me again. "I'll be back soon."

I nod my head, letting go of him. He gives my hand one last squeeze before walking back over to Shoupe. Shoupe cuffs have before putting him in the car. I keep my eyes on JJ's until I can't see him anymore.

A soft cry escapes my lips. Kiara walks over to me, pulling me into a hug. She runs her hand up and down my back, trying to calm me down while Pope flips out.

"He'll be okay." Kie says.

"I know." I say wiping at tears.

"Come home with me, we have Midsummers tomorrow."

"How am I supposed to think about that right now?"

"You need a distraction while he's gone." I follow her to her car before she drives us both to her house.

When we get there we just relax for the rest of the night.

"So.. you and JJ?" She asks me while we lay on her bed.

A small smile creeps onto my face. "Yeah, Me and JJ."

"How long?!" She says excited.

"Right before my dad left." I tell her.

"So, what's it like?"

"What, dating?"

"Being in love."

"Oh," I smile bigger, blushing. "Well, it's hard to explain. It's like I've found my person. My whole world surrounds him, he's the most important thing in my life. JJ is just the sweetest guy, you wouldn't expect that from him. But I can trust him with anything. I know he'll always be on my side. And I'll always be on his."

"Oh wow! Why didn't you tell any of us?" She asks, evidently kinda hurt.

"Oh, Kie. We didn't tell anyone. John B doesn't even know. But that's why we didn't tell anyone, we didn't want JB to know so he wouldn't flip out. We don't get along anymore."

"Oh, I get it. You guys are good for each other. He needs someone like you in his life."

"Thank you." I say grabbing her hand.

"It also makes so much sense. You guys weren't always subtle but I figured it was because you guys had know each other so long."

"No, we've been together for awhile." I giggle.

"Yeah, I got that." She laughs too.

I sleep pretty restless, my mind too busy thinking about JJ and what his father would do to him. Kiara fell asleep hours before me. I lied awake for hours before I finally felt tired enough to pass out.