Ch 7

"This is empty

"This is empty. You took an empty tank?" Kie asks analyzing the tank my brother had stolen from the Camerons. She looks at the other one. "Okay, this one is a quarter full. It's enough for one of us."

"Love it when a plan comes together." Pope says sarcastically.

"Who knows how to dive?" Kie asks us. We all stay silent. Who knew how to dive?

"It's kind of a Kook sport." JJ says.

"I.. read about it." Pope informs us.

"Yeah, P, that's not helpful." I speak up. "We need someone that actually knows how to do it so nobody dies."

"Look, you put the thing in your mouth and you breathe. How hard can it be?" JJ asks.

"If you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood, and you get the bends." Pope says.

"Bends, like bend over and..." JJ bends over, sticking out his butt. I fight the urge to smack it because he was being an idiot.

"No, J. The bends can kill you, fast." I tell him.

"Well I wanna bend you over and-"

"JJ, stop flirting with my sister. It's fucking gross." My brother cuts him off.

"Fine."

"I.. I can dive." John B speaks up.

"You- you can dive. I'm fine with that." JJ nods.

"Since when can you dive?" Kie asks side glancing my brother.

"I'll do it, it's fine."

"Let me do some calculations real quick." Pope says. "That boat's about 30 feet deep, so it'll take 25 minutes at that depth. Which means you need to make your safety stop at about... ten feet. All right? For two minutes."

"Yeah, yeah. Ten feet, two minutes. Got it."

Kie suddenly jumps off the boat and into the water. I watched confused.

"What was that about?" Pope asks.

"That was really weird." I say.

"I don't know." JJ says. "Uh, when you're down there, you look for the cargo hold. You stick this thing inside and twist and pull, okay?"

"Stick in the hole, twist and pull." John B says memorizing the steps.

"Yeah. My dad moved weight back in the day."

"Who didn't?" Pope asks.

"Hey!" Kie calls from water, catching our attention. "I tied my t-shirt to the chain about 10 feet down. It's where you need to do your safety stop."

Pope hands him something. "You need to make sure you have enough air to decompress."

"Okay, how much do I need?" John B asks.