Ch 19

"Kie, I look silly

"Kie, I look silly." I say looking at myself in the mirror in her bedroom. I had on a long blue dress with my hair dead straight. Kiara had put on a ton of make up on me. She had also given me silver earrings and a silver head piece so I fit the theme better.

"No you don't, you're gorgeous."

"I don't fit in with the Kooks. You at least have money."

"Kat, what is this really about? JJ? He'll be fine, that boy's a fucking Cockroach."

"I know, I just worry about him."

"He'll be okay."

I sigh. I knew she was right. But I also knew his dad would lose his shit on him.

"It's time to go, Kat. We can worry about him later. I can't piss off my parents more right now."

I follow her down stairs and get in the car with her family. When we get there we wander around a bit, not really sure what to do. I spot Pope by the grill and make my way over to him.

"Hey." I say catching his attention.

"Kat? Oh my god, have you heard from JJ?"

"No, I haven't."

"Damn." He says. "You look really good by the way. That color looks good on you."

"Thank you." I say with a smile. "You know it's not your fault? JJ getting arrested I mean. That was his choice."

"You love him?" Pope asks suddenly, catching me off guard.

"Of course."

"Good, cuz he loves you too. I thought it was just a crush because I didn't know you were together, but that boy talks about you nonstop."

A smile breaks across my face. Our attention is caught when everyone starts clapping as the Cameron's walk out.

"She is definitely gonna poke someone's eye out with that thing." Pope motions to her head piece.

"That's terrifying." I say. "They're like little eyeball skewers."

As the evening goes on I wander around, eating food, drinking and talking to other guests. I danced with Kiara for a bit before finding a corner to chill in. The socialization finally catching up to me. I was never a fan of Kook parties. They were too uptight and sophisticated for me. I sigh, watching everyone move about. Something about the way Kooks interacted with each other was fascinating.

A voice catches my attention, startling me.

"Wow, don't you look sexy."

I turn to find my boyfriend admiring me as he walks up to me.

"JJ!" I run over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

His own immediately snake around my waist, lifting me from the ground, spinning me around. He places me on the ground. I pull him in tighter. I let his comforting smell fill my lungs. Relief floods through my body, feeling him underneath my touch.