Ch 24

"No effing way!" Kie shouts

"No effing way!" Kie shouts. "You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?"

I sit on JJ's lap as I watch Kie flip out on John B. He had brought Sarah to the Chateau to tell us all she'd be there tonight when we go down the well.

I'll admit, I hated the idea too. I still didn't like Sarah, or the fact that her and my brother were macking. From everything Kie has told me and from what I've seen, Sarah was a bitch.

John B looks to us for help. Pope, JJ and I were all sitting close.

"I dunno." Pope shrugs.

"You know where I stand." I point out.

"Look, all I care about is her comes out of your share." JJ says.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote." Kie snaps. "This is our thing. A pogue thing." Sarah bites her lip, annoyed as Kie talks.

"I gotta say, I'm a tad uncomfortable with all of this." Pope admits.

"Thank you!"

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John B questions, irritated.

"I dunno. I rode on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably."

"It's true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him." JJ states.

"That's cute, guys." John B retorts.

"You know we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her." Kie retaliated.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" Sarah yells at Kie.

"Then leave." I speak up.

Sarah scoffs and looks at my brother. "I told you."

"Told him what, exactly?" Kie demands. "That you're a liar?"

"No, that you're a shit-talking bitch." Sarah spits.

I stand up from JJ's lap. His hands come up in surrender as I walk up to Kie and Sarah.

"Okay, here's the thing, Sarah." I spit her name like it's poison. "I don't know, if you're a liar, but I do know you shouldn't be here and you're not reliable."

"When have I lied?" Sarah asks.

"You get somebody close to you-"

"I didn't lie about shit."

"Okay, everybody shut up!" John B demands loudly.

"Kie, you are my best friend, right? And Kat, you're my twin sister. And Sarah you're... you're my..."

"Say it." Sarah whispers.

"You're my girlfriend."

"Ohh... that's new." Pope mumbles.

"I knew you were a fucking liar." I say to my brother.

"She's your girlfriend now?" Kie seethes. "What was all that talk about you were just using her for information? Get a map, cut her loose."

Sarah looks over at John B. "You said you were using me?"

John B rubs his forehead. "No."

"Don't you lie, John." I spit.

"Yeah, you did. You said those things." Pope agrees.

"Look, love just walked in, okay?" John B says.

"Oh, vomit." Kie turns away.

"I didn't expect it. It just happened. I'm not gonna deny it." John B shrugs.

"Yeah, well I didn't expect to fall for JJ and you sure as hell weren't happy about that. So you don't get a pass for involving her." I snap.

"She's got a point." JJ points out.

"Look, cut the bullshit, John B. If she's in, I'm out."

"I'm not doing this, I can't!" John B pleads.

"You are gonna decide." I agree with Kie.

"I can't."

"I'm very interested, actually. Me or her?" Kie demands.

"Both."

JJ whistles. "Went for the Hail Mary."

Kie storms off the porch. I shake my head looking at my brother.

"What?" He demands.

"You just chose Sarah over Kie." I say.

"No, I chose both."

"No, sir. By saying both, you're choosing Sarah."

"I'm not. Would you choose between Kie and JJ? Didn't think so."

"Okay, hold on. That's completely different. JJ is a Pogue. And everyone was supportive of us being together except you. Nobody approves you two being together!"

"It'll be cool, right?" Sarah asks looking at John B. "I'm gonna leave."

"Sarah, don't." John B pleads.

"Sarah, do." I retort.

"Gonna let y'all chat. Let me know."

I shake my head, standing up to go into my room. I hear JJ follow me into my room after making a smart remark. I turn to look at him. Angry tears were burning in my eyes.

"Kat? Hey, are you okay?" JJ asks gripping my shoulders.

"I'm so sick of him. He's exhausting, I'm exhausted."

"Hey, hey, it's okay. It's okay to be frustrated, alright?"

"He's such a fucking hypocrite."

"Kat, relax. He is being a hypocrite. It pisses me off too that he doesn't approve of us. But that doesn't stop me from loving you, okay? You always have me."

"I miss the days when we could just relax in the hammocks and fall asleep together. I miss you, JJ. I know you're right here, but now all we do is look for this stupid gold."

"Kat.." JJ sighs. He reaches out to me, pulling me towards him by my hips. "I'm right here, okay?Nothing will ever keep me from you."

"I love you."

JJ pulls me in to kiss me. He presses his lips against mine in a slow kiss. He picks me up under my butt. I wrap my legs around him, pulling him closer to me. I pull away, laying my head on his shoulder.

"You okay, baby?"

"Mm-hm." I mumble against his neck.

"I love you, Kat."

"I love you." I press a kiss against his lips before dropping my feet to the ground.