Vanished (Chapter 4)

What day is it? I pick up my phone and stare at the date.

August 26th.

It's been 27 days since the funeral. And here I am, sitting on the couch, drowning myself in first-person shooters. I have an on-the-go stack of junk to eat on the coffee table, my phone has been collecting dust upstairs, and I even brought blankets and pillows down for comfort. It reminds me of my parents' house.

I don't even remember the last time I showered.

My blinds are drawn, leaving me with only artificial light and bad eyes. I had pulled out my game stash, and even some of the old consoles, like the PlayStation 4. It's always nice to revisit the Last of Us.

But I've probably been down here for 25 days. Those two days prior were spent idling, my life empty. I had been tweeting and Instagram-ing like there was no tomorrow. That was until I realized that 10 years of my 26 years of age was devoted towards gaming. Life sure comes back to bite you in the ass.

Now... now it's time to go back upstairs.

The first thing I notice when I emerge from the basement is the brightness. It frickin' hurts. My eyes are stinging as I enter my living area. The front door is untouched, and with the minimal surrounding windows, the area seems haunted, like an abandoned old house. Even though the design is modernized.

I enter the kitchen and prepare a decent meal. While the pot is on the stove, I look down at my outfit. I'm wearing a white shirt and grey sweat pants from a Pack outing a few years back, and a red plaid designed robe. My feet were covered with dark grey slippers with no particular design, unlike the trademarked rabbit styled loafers.

As I sit down on a stool, I see my closed laptop resting on my charging stand, with, of course, the charger inside it. Leaving my soup, I carry my laptop over to my seat, pushing the lid open. After logging in, the first thing I notice is 43 Skype updates. Maximizing the application, I see a few missed calls and messages from Ryan, Ashley, and some other friends, but the majority were from Rob, Preston, Lachlan, and Vikk. I checked through the first few messages.

"Sup man? How about some Dota?" From Lachlan, August 2nd.

Missed call from Rob, August 2nd.

"How are you holding up from the funeral?" From Preston, August 3rd.

I scroll down a few days.

"Yo man where the hell are you?" From Mat, August 8th.

"Dude what's up we're seriously worrying." From Vikk, August 10th.

3 missed calls from Preston in one day. Looks like they were really frantic.

I even saw one from Chelsey, Rob's girlfriend formally known as SodaKite. "Hey Mitch, I talked to the guys... are you okay?"

I kept scrolling until I reached the bottom. The last notification was from August 19th. A week ago. I guess they gave up. I read the final message.

"Bro you haven't tweeted, haven't updated or replied in weeks. What the fuck is going on?" From Rob.

They definitely gave up. They probably think I'm dead or something. Skimming the messages, one pops out at me. It's from Jess. I didn't even know she had Skype.

"Mitch what is going on? You're not answering my calls or texts, or any of your friends. I tried stopping by a couple times, but no one answered the door! I only got Skype to try and talk to you, but something tells me that there is a pretty slim chance that you'll see this. ...just if you do, please check your phone!"

My phone!

With the last sips of my soup, I run upstairs and find my iPhone 7C on my bedside table. It's out of battery, so I quickly locate my charger and plug it in, holding the power button on the side. My lock screen comes up. All of my texts are from Jess. I notice the last one was sent an hour ago.

"Please." Is all it says.

I unlock my phone with a seemingly unfamiliar pass code, and swiftly text Jess.

"Meet me at the Starbucks down the street from my house Jess."

-

Continue in Chapter 5...

Edited 05/06/15