08| don't push your luck

Start from the beginning

I wasn't going to lie I was dying by the time I finished the last set. Before swimming my cool down I sat on the edge of the lane I went through my phone answering some text messages from my sister Emma. Even though I was focused on answering the texts I could hear the echo of heels as they touched the concrete floor. Soon enough I could see a small figure standing at the entrance from the corner of my eye.

"Hey," Everest awkwardly said grabbing my attention. I looked confused when I saw her in her current clothes. I was speechless. Everest looked hot with that black pantsuit and don't get me started on the red lipstick. As soon as I realized I was staring I dismissed my thoughts. "I'm going to change and I'll be right out."

I nodded. She must've noticed I was staring. Idiot. "You can take your time, I have 400 meters left to complete my training and then we can get started with yours."

"Okay, thanks." She replied.

She looked pretty embarrassed at the way she replied. Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink. I was finished up with my training session once Everest walked out of the locker room. She had her BGU swimming cap on and her goggles at hand. "I'm all ready to go."

"Great, you can warm up if you'd like but it's really up to you. For today, I want to see how you swim under pressure. Meaning that we'll start off with 50 meters and you have to swim as if you were competing, so you have to give me 100% on that one. That allows me to see what is holding you back and I can help you correct anything that is wrong with your technique as well." I replied.

"Okay, that's perfect. I'll just start with a 200-meter freestyle warm-up." She said getting in the water and I just nodded. I noticed she looked tense, she was obviously nervous so I reminded her that there was no need for her to be.

"You don't have to be nervous Everest, you look tense. I'm not here to scrutinize or judge. I just want to help you out."

She nodded and began to swim the warm-up. I was one hundred percent behind what I said to her. Even though I had no choice in the matter, I still wanted to help her out. I did see the potential Coach saw in her and I knew that if she fixed her technique problems she would be taking a few medals home this season.

It took her around twenty minutes to finish warming up before she told Connery she was ready, to begin with, training. "So, we'll be starting off with the 100 meters correct?"

"Yes," I replied. "I'll be taking your initial time so you can see your progress as we progress with every training session. Also, I was hoping you didn't mind if I film you." As I finished my last sentence I hoped she didn't misinterpret what I said.

"I don't mind, I'm just a little confused as to why you would need to do so." She replies.

"It's not what that pretty little head of yours is thinking Everest, it's for professional purposes only. If I film you that way you can rewatch the videos and see for yourself what you're doing wrong. It doesn't work out the same if I just explain it to you, it's not the same if you don't see it for yourself." I explained myself, I didn't want her to go thinking I was a creep.

"I understand, let's give it a go." She replied understandingly.

"Perfect, I'll be underwater, you can start whenever you want."

I went underwater with my phone at hand and I began to film her. It didn't take long for me to realize that this was going to be a lot of work. Her kicking was too wide and her timing was way off. By the time she reached the end of the 50 meters, she was little out of breath and I could see the worry in her facial expression. "I was horrible wasn't I?"

I let out a small laugh. How could I say that it was horrible without hurting her feelings? "If it makes you feel any better, you definitely swim better than Dant."