Chapter Seventeen

"This is a terrible idea," Remington said.

Jeisson rolled his eyes and poked at Remington's back until Remington finally went through the door, all the while shouting, "No touching!"

Remington looked horrified as he entered the bar that the rest of the Mathletes were already in. His eyes darted around the room and then down to his feet. He lifted up one foot. "The floor is sticky. Are we even allowed to be here?"

"Relax, it's a bar and grill," Jeisson explained. "Look, there's like a four-year-old over there." Jeisson waved his hands over to a nearby booth where a small family was chowing down on hot dogs and fries.

"That kid is definitely at least twelve."

"Whatever, I'm not good with ages. Point is, this is a family-friendly establishment." 

That was mostly true. The later the night got the more bar-like the place would become. Jeisson knew this from experience. It was a hole-in-the-wall joint and the food was mediocre at best. They had beer on tap and well drinks, nothing fancy. The decor was standard and clearly had not been updated for ages. Everything had a worn look to it, and not in that vintage retro kind of way. Some of the cushions on the booths even had holes in the corners. The place was poorly lit, giving it an even grittier feeling.

Kelly had brought Jeisson there a few times before. She knew one of the hostesses. The bartenders always accepted Jeisson's fake ID. 

But, the best thing of all (at least in Kelly's mind, and now it proved useful to Jeisson as well), was that they did karaoke nights on Saturdays. Kelly loved karaoke. Of course, Kelly loved a lot of things. Jeisson was indifferent, but he had a plan. 

"Grab a table," he told the Mathletes, then went to the bar. He got a round of tequila shots and a beer for himself and Kelly. They didn't even card him. Although he had a momentary feeling of guilt about it, he used the credit card he had on hand. His mom had said he could spend money on a Lyft, and this was about the same cost. She wouldn't look that closely at the bill, he knew. 

After paying, Jeisson found the Mathletes in the corner at two hightops they had pushed together to fit everyone. Kelly was already at the fold-out table the karaoke guys were set up at to sign up for her first song. An equipment guy was setting things up on the very small, rinky-dink stage just behind her. 

"Seriously, what are we doing here?" Nat asked, looking like she was fighting back the urge to punch Jeisson in the face.

"Would you all just relax? Is that even possible with you guys?"

"Absolutely not," Remington said with conviction.

"You're going to make us sing, aren't you?" Alice said, looking with wide eyes at the stage.

The server came then with the tray full of shots, the beers, and a small bowl of limes. She set everything down on the table and left without so much as a smile or a word. Kelly re-joined them just as Jeisson was handing out the shots, one for everyone except Remington. 

"I don't get one?" Remington asked.

"You don't want one," Jeisson said.

Jeisson thought he had been pragmatic, but suddenly he worried that Remington might take offense. He watched him carefully for a moment. Remington surprised him by giving a slight smile. "Thanks," he said.

"Yeah, sure. I'll not get you a shot anytime, man. The rest of you, bottoms up!" Jeisson threw back the shot. Kelly and Nat were quick to join. Alice stared at her shot glass a moment, but then tossed hers back too. She made a sour face and quickly grabbed a lime, which only made the sour face worse.