Chapter 12 - Three is a Crowd

L.J. answered his call outside the restaurant. "Talk."

"Not so good news." It was Kino on the phone.

His fellow operative along with Jake, one of the junior officers had been on a field work, following Rachelle Tan for days now. They figured, Escano's girl may know something about the big boss. Surveying Tan's data, they'd learnt about her family being rich and had connections with higher authorities that she was able to make a bail easily. But with the boyfriend dead, L.J. thought Tan could also be in danger.

"Tan left the country." Kino explained. "She would be okay for a while... at least from being shot. But that's it for us. It looks like our case is now a dead end."

"I hope not. I'll see you guys tomorrow." L.J. ended their conversation with an annoyed sigh.

He needed a drink. A hard one! But glancing at the door for Clemente's Resto, a fancy restaurant near the Galleria Mall, his head pounded. He would have to deal with his girlfriend first. He wondered if Rebecca had sent her to remind him of his promise.

Recalling Ivanna's reaction when she saw him holding Agatha, L.J. shrugged it off and smiled. They had been in the relationship for almost three years. He had several flings. Far more sophisticated and beautiful than Agatha. His girlfriend knew each and every one of them and she dismissed them all, confident that these women cannot steal him. Ivanna can't be possibly jealous with someone like the four-eyed pharmacist.

---

"WHERE DID YOU meet, Jaycee? How long have you known him? Tell me the truth. Are you dating him?"

Agatha was hoping for the question, 'How do you find your job at the Buen Farmacia?' as a formal 'boss-to-employee' conversation opener; she paled with Ivanna's straight to the point interrogation.

"No, Ma'am!" Her answer was quick, almost terrified. "I'm not dating Leon... I mean, Sir Jaycee. I only knew him during my stay at Bliss and it was only when I found him bleeding at my door." And to calm the COO, she added. "While I was waiting for my ex."

"Ex-boyfriend? Ex-husband...? Ex-men? Please, specify."

They were sitting at a table in a very spacious spot in Clemente's Resto. Agatha sat opposite the COO whose hands were clasped together while staring at her, face smiling in a predatory way. To her dismay, L.J. was still outside the restaurant, talking to someone.

Leon, what's taking you? Agatha knew it was bad decision that she accepted Ivanna's dinner invitation.

No harm saying yes to the bosses! She told herself; she forgot, these employers of hers were actually lovers and she'd played the third wheel. And alarmingly, more to her comprehension, Ivanna Milenlie Ruiz might had been feeling bad with L.J.'s being a good friend to her with the free ride. Not to mention, the COO saw her boyfriend touching her elbow!

"Ex-boyfriend, Ma'am," she replied trying not to sound pathetic. "He was supposed to come for me and say sorry for the things he'd done. But he didn't..."

"Horrible boyfriend." Ivanna, brushing a strand of her straight auburn hair from her face, looked at her almost sympathetic.

With the COO's dark eyes warming up, Agatha felt relaxed on her seat. Adjusting her eyeglasses to take a glimpse at her boss, she found Ivanna really classy in her white halter style top down to her grey slacks and silver stilettos.

"I'm not going to ask what happened because looking at you now... sweetheart. I think I already know the reason."

"What- what do you mean, Ma'am?" It felt like a small sting. Ivanna's cultured tone may had been kind but there was something sinister about it, like a sweet cake with a dash of cyanide.

"Jaycee and I are in this relationship for three years now. He had some women as special friends but I was never worried? Why?"

There were few customers inside the restaurant. But apparently, they were all well-dressed, rich and seemingly important people. As two waitresses approach their table, carrying their order, Ivanna stood up, displaying her curvaceous body and her height, two inches taller than Agatha.

Big deal -!

To her surprise, the COO deliberately bumped the tray carried by one of the servers while setting down their food. It came crashing to the floor and Ivanna faked a shriek. Both of the waitresses turned white as the manager approached them. Apologies were said, shortly. Then, the promise of suspension because of the accident. Despite of the witnesses including Agatha, no one had dared to speak about the truth. The president of the Cervantes Development Corporation was favored not because of her beauty, but of her reputation, money and power.

Agatha got Ivanna's message about L.J.'s special friends. Thankfully, she was nothing 'special'.

_____

Thanks for voting and leaving comments. Have a great week :)

Love lots,

D