Chapter 4 - CEO Alert

Eyes closed and seeming very thirsty, his throat moved in a rhythmic beat gulping all the fluid down. His blue hospital gown had a very thin cloth, Agatha couldn't help but to admire his broad shoulders, his well-toned biceps and his wide chest.

Nibbling at an Oreo, she shifted her attention to his long-muscled legs. Thinking L.J. must be a fast runner; his brown eyes met her dark ones.

"Enjoying yourself?" A smirk was on his face as he returned the glass of water on the table by the bed's side.

"Su-sure." Agatha almost choked with her cookie.

She knew what he'd meant. He caught her watching him. But she won't give him any satisfaction.

"Definitely enjoying this Oreo," she added, playing innocent. "Do you want one?"

He stared at her for a moment; then with an amused smile, nodded. Getting up from the sofa across his hospital bed, she took the box of cookies for the guy.

"You were almost out for twelve hours." She handed him the box of Oreo. "You must be starving. The lunch ration will be soon though -"

"Hospital food?" He grimaced as he sat beside her at the edge of the bed; his left arm still hooked with a dextrose. "Not really my favorite. I asked Gran for a take out."

"Oh, about that." She glanced at her wristwatch. "I have to go back soon. So is your gran, Ma'am Cervantes or any of your friends will show up soon?"

After taking L.J. to Batangas Medical Central - the nearest hospital from Bliss Resort the next morning, the two PDEA agents had to leave to report for work later. Agatha was asked to stay with him while waiting for his other co-workers to return. She met Mrs. Rebecca Cervantes, instead - L.J.s wealthy grandmother.

The lady, seemingly strict and awful had already spoken with the hospital staff before seeing her grandson. Ignored, Agatha felt invisible. She stepped out of the room to leave while L.J. and his grandmother talked. But only to be ordered shortly by the latter to stay with the agent while the elderly lady settle something at Bliss Resort.

Probably to file a complaint, she thought.

"I can manage by myself," he said with an air of confidence as he reached for an Oreo in the box. "Besides, someone may be waiting for you."

"No one's waiting for me at the resort." A pang of sadness touched her heart; she tried to be casual. "But I have to check out and leave for Manila. I have work tomorrow."

"You should go and thanks. I owe you."

She rose up for the door to leave. "That's nothing -"

"I just hope, you didn't forget to sterilize the stuff you used in me."

"Of course, I had them disinfected!"

She swallowed, looking back to him as he ate another cookie. "Who told you?"

With her mouth gaping, she froze with his next words. "You used to help your aunt in removing boils. And remarkably, you know how to do circumcision." His thick eyebrows met, thoughtfully. "You can't rely on Ashley. She told your story to Doc Pete."

"The doctor who's treating you right now?" To Agatha's relief, L.J. gave her a small grateful smile.

"Doc Pete admitted about everything with Gran," he said, "Then, Gran warned me about the infection."

"I'll have to forgive Ash," she sighed. "I think, she only got scared of err... infection. She had to tell everything to the doctor."

L.J. was wiping his mouth, she gazed at him earnestly. "I'm sorry, I am no doctor. I bet your gran is going to have me arrested."

"Gran thought what you did was dangerous. The doctor told me you did well. I thought of you being brave."

His deep voice was very solemn; she was tongue-tied, feeling it in her chest. More to her surprise, his hand caught her wrist. His hold was so warm and firm.

"How can I ever repay you?" he said in a very soft, husky tone.

L.J. removed her eyeglasses and his brown eyes bore into hers. With his short messed-up curly dark hair and unshaven face, he can still be gorgeous and hot. His lips moved close to her and she closed her eyes.

She heard him whisper. "How much?"

"Really?" Clearly, the guy was messing with her when she saw him smiling, his leering smile.

Cheeks burning, Agatha snatched her eyeglasses back from him to leave; L.J. held on to her wrist. "I'm sorry," he said, stifling his enjoyment. "But, I'm serious. I wanted to pay you for saving my life."

"Yeah, and you're a billionaire all right." Her embarrassment turned to annoyance with the mention of money. "Well, I'm sorry, you won't afford my fee."

Furious, Agatha pulled her arm from L.J. who made a sudden release that almost made her sprawling to the floor.

"Jerk!"

"Angel, sorry –" He sounded serious but his brown eyes were dancing. Amused?

She walked off without a word.

Agatha met Rebecca Cervantes entering L.J.'s room. Trailing her was a large man, apparently, the rich lady's bodyguard in white polo shirt and black trousers. He had two big brown paper bags in both arms.

Probably L.J.'s takeout food, she guessed.

There had been no introductions between her and L.J.'s gran. But Agatha overheard from some hospital staff; the lady was CEO of the Cervantes Group Inc. – parent company of the Galleria Malls, Buen Farmacia and the Cervantes Development Corporation. The latter wholly owned subsidiary, being one of the leading property developers in the Philippines.

She said her good bye politely to the elderly lady, who'd seemed not mind; but upon over hearing a disturbing news, Agatha stopped on her tracks.

"Yes, we are going to sue them," Rebecca told her grandson. "I'll make sure that the resort management won't be able to operate again because of what happened to you. They should always have a doctor in case of emergencies."

"You did what, Gran?" L.J. was just as shocked as Agatha.

"No, you can't do that, Ma'am." She walked back into the room to face a frowning elderly lady with a white short hair.

The bodyguard, alarmed for his employer had to move forward to meet Agatha.

"It is okay, Alberto." Rebecca looked elegant in her white ruffled long sleeves and grey slacks. She wore gold jewelry that made her more menacing and richer.

"The resort has their own fault," Agatha explained, gathering her courage. "But many people will lose their job if you shut it down."

"I am thankful that you saved my grandson, dear," L.J.'S gran said, dryly. "Despite of the possible outcome."

So, okay, she got the message. It means, back off!

"And I had you checked," the elderly lady continued. "You are an employee from a private drugstore... Happy Medicine in Sampaloc, Manila. Is that precise?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Then you should be on your way, dear. Successful people work very hard. Off you go." Rebecca's voice may had been pleasant but in a way, dehumanizing.

Off you go? Agatha can only shake her head as she retreated. Now that was a real insult! Way horrible than L.J. calling her unsophisticated, boring, pale or skinny.

And the guy she saved did not say anything on her behalf. Well, she can't blame him. Regardless of him being a macho agent, L.J. was obviously scared of his grandmother.

Agatha was out of the door when L.J. said something wild to Rebecca.

"How about I buy Bliss Resort? Let's not trouble you going to court."