fifteen

*6 months later*

I hurriedly slide my heels on and walk out the door for work. Before I drive off, I check my makeup in the sun visor mirror to make sure everything is in place. I check the time to see I'm running behind and I whip out of my parking spot.

I quit my job at the cafe the day after I left Matthew's house. Now, I'm a receptionist for a prestige makeup company and I couldn't be happier. The pay is unbelievably amazing, and I'm actually treated with respect. I've been able to save up and move out of my apartment to get a better one when my lease is up.

I don't think about him as much except when I see a tall man with curly brown hair, or when I see something that reminds me of him. So, kind of all the time. He stopped calling and texting me two weeks after I left his house. I assume he found someone else to toy with, so I moved on. Although, I haven't dated anyone since him, I have gone on a few dates. Each one got more horrendous, so I eventually gave up.

Sometimes late at night when I can't sleep I do wonder what he's doing. If he left his wife, or if he's still with her. Maybe he convinced her to have a kid with him. Who knows? But then I quickly remember I have better things to think about, like the promotion I'm getting today. That also has a pay increase.

Things are finally looking up. I'm not struggling. I'm not unhappy. I have an amazing job and amazing friends. What else could I ask for? I finally feel like I belong somewhere, which is something I've never experienced.

I rush into work to see my boss, Layla, beaming at me, "Late on your promotion day, are we?"

I give her a half smile, "I'm sorry! I was up all night packing."

She shakes her head at me, "Honey, don't worry about it. Let me show you your office."

I could scream from excitement. I get to collaborate with what products we should introduce, and what would make the best sales. I even get my own assistant!

Layla stops at my new office, and I couldn't be happier. I fought for this promotion, and it worked out for me. I can finally feel proud of myself about something. I look at the glass doors and windows of my office, and I also have the perfect view of my city directly outside. This feels like a dream.

"Alright, get squared away, and then head over to the conference room in ten minutes." She informs as she tucks her red hair behind her ear.

I set my laptop bag on my desk along with my purse before I sit in my chair. Oh my god, my own office. If you told Lydia from three months ago this was happening she'd call you a liar, and probably cry afterwards.

-

I stare down at the shade range of the new foundation we've been testing and I furrow my eyebrows, "Is this all of the shades?"

"Yes, we figured that wit-"

"This shade range is pitiful. There are over twenty different shades for lighter skin, but only ten shades for people of color." I look at the girl in front of me, and she struggles to think of something to say.

"Bring this back to the lab and tell them we need a better shade range. This company is about diversity, and I'm not seeing any here. The formula is great, though." I slide the paper back towards her and wipe off the foundation I had tested on my hand before I move on to the lipsticks.

I swatch one of them and I like the smoothness of it. I look down at the shades we've assorted and I try to find which ones would sell the best.

"I love this formula." I swatch another one and I'm equally impressed, "I would like to see some with maybe a little bit more shimmer. That's really in right now." I say and write the note down on a post it before sticking it on the box of lipsticks. I look around to see that I've tested and fixed all of the products that were up for question.

"Alright, friends, I think that's it for today! Have a fun weekend, and I'll see you guys on Monday!" I say to everyone and they all smile as they get up to leave. I grab another makeup wipe to rid any leftover swatches on my arms and hands. I let out a sigh as I head back to my office.

I have to say being a receptionist is easier, but this is way more fun. I love seeing all the new products coming in, and I actually have a say in them. I feel like such an adult.

I sit back down at my desk, and open my laptop to write some emails before I'm able to head out. My fingers type quickly across the keyboard when I hear a soft knock at the door. I look up to see Layla.

"I think you've had one of the best first days ever, Lyd. I'm really proud of you." She smiles.

Those five words are like music to my ears. Ever since I started I've looked up to Layla, and her approval means so much to me.

"Thank you! I feel really good about today." I say and she looks around the office.

"You should, but hey, go home. You can do this on Monday. Have some fun." She tells me before leaving with her belongings. I look down at the email I had finished to proofread it, and then I send it.

She's right. I should go home. I still have so much to pack. I quickly close my laptop, and pack all of my stuff up.

Maybe I'll go on a date tonight. I open up a dating app I have and look at my recent matches. I quickly change my mind. I think I'll stick to packing tonight.